Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Beginner

Default Change fees!! Is this the new way to make money?

I typically like to book my own cruises and turn them over to Best Price cruises. I have given them at least 20 trips. I recently had a booking and decided to cancel well before penalty and was told that their was a $100.00 cancellation fee but only $50.00 fee if I rebooked another cabin. I was holding two cabins for Princess and switched to a Celebrity sailing so I decided to give them the new bookings and only take the hit for $100.00 for two cabins. I would typically book directly on celebrity because it is the same price as the agency to have more control for the same money. We decided to cancel one person out of one of the cabins for a fee of $50.00. We then decided to cancel one total cabin and add our daughter to our stateroom for a fee of $50.00. The price went down and they adjusted it down once for free but the second price reduction cost us $25.00!!!

We are going on an NCL cruise later this year and have decided to pay more to have a direct relationship with the cruise line. In the end I feel I get better service with a direct booking than to get nickeled and dimed to death!! Is this the norm or should I just look for a different travel agent?
Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I would look for a different agent and ask up front about the fees - and then get it in writing if they tell you there are no fees.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old March 27th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'd get a different agent also. My agent charges a $25/person admin fee for cancelled trips but takes into consideration on why the trip is being cancelled (and the fact I am a long time customer who gives her a lot of my own as well as referral business doesn't hurt). I don't have a problem with the fee as she does a lot work and deserves to be paid for her time and effort. I agree that nickle and diming is ridiculous.

Sovereign - 3/99
Paradise - 4/00
Majesty - 11/00
Monarch - 12/02 (XMAS)
Radiance - 8/03 (AK) & 11/03
Adventure - 4/04, 3/05, 8/06
Navigator - 11/05
Century - 12/06
Serenade - 3/07

Adventure of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas
Old March 28th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

My travel agent doesn't charge any cancellation/change fees beyond what the cruiseline would charge (if any are made past final payment date). So, charging these fees is not the norm, some TAs charge, some don't......