Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Passenger

Default Longer Cruises

We are considering a 64 day cruise in September 2007 on HAL that leaves and ends in California but goes to Asia, the South Pacific, Australia and Hawaii. Assume there will be some differences in this type cruise adn our normal 12- 14 day cruise, but not sure what. ANy ideas adn/or thougths on that long of a cruise. Not real sure i want to do this, but the itinerary is very intriguing and not having to fly to Asia, and the adjusting to the time changes gradually is real appealing. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Admiral

I can only say I wish we were going with you! We are leaving in three days to fly to Hong Kong. after 3 days with a little sightseeing and a lot of dim sum, we board the Statendam for 35 days. Includes 4 ports in China, one in Korea, four in Japan, one in Russia , three in Alaska and finally Vancouver. It will be our 3rd 30 day plus cruise. The only difference is that they combine segments and so there will be some repeats on menus etc. On our Cruise there are several two day ports and that is one reason we took it, the other is we avoid one trans-Pacific flight. the other two long ones, were across the South Pacific Auckland to L.A., and around South America, including Antarctica. We loved both! HAL ships are great for long cruises because they have coin op laundries (except for the Vista Class) and they are great ships.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Passenger

Default Longer Cruises

We were booked on the cruise before the one you are taking... ours ended in Hong Kong but i cancelled it after not getting airfare less than 11 thousand dollars. I refuse to go that far unless i am in first class, even then i need a few days to adjust to the time change. WE also loved the idea of two days in some ports and the 64 day one does the same thing. The 64 day crusie is going to be only two segments, so am assuming there won't be many repeats of meals?. have no idea how many formal nights that will involve. What else is different on long segments? Imagine it is nice to really get to know the staff. How rough were the seas on your Auckland to LA one. We also looked at he the 20 day one around SA and antarctica. How was it? Do they do much differnet in the way of entertainment when you have foru or five sea days in a row. THat should be wonderful from Auckland to Hawaii when the weather is warm, but not sure about when we go from Seatlle to Russia in sool weather. Your thoguths please... thanks
Old April 10th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Admiral

I'm with you on the long flights. We used a bunch of miles with United to upgrade to business class, that beats coach by a mile, and we only have the one long flight, SFO to Hong Kong.

On the two long cruises, they did not repeat entertainment, but there is only so much you can do with menus -- variations on a theme you know. Only so much you can do with chicken, lamb, beef, fish and pasta x 64! Our South America cruise started in San Diego and ended in Rio, and I believe it was a total of 34 days on the Ryndam.

The south Pacific crossing was not rough except for four days when we were playing tag with a cyclone named Paula. We had to skip Fiji because of it, but spent extra time in French Polynesia. two of the four days were pretty rough, with 30 ft. seas. The rest of the trip was fine. Just a gentle roll that makes for good sleeping. It was a marvelous relaxing cruise. I would not hesitate to do it again and that is why we are doing our third 30 day+ cruise

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old April 10th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Passenger

thanks so mcuh for the information... have a wonderful cruise and please let me know how you enjoyed it when you return. Noticed you have done Crystal also. We like Crystal a lot, but for the money, we really enjoy HAL' s suites. I like the concierge lounge much better than a butler. What is the other line you seem to have done often? not familiar with the name.