Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2006, 07:52 AM
Familiar Face

Default homebased travel business

Would you tell who to contact or where to go to start a homebased travel business.
Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2006, 02:54 PM
Passenger

Don't waste your time or money, you will lose out to the on line agencies like Expedia and Travelocity. More and more people are booking their travel on line, and prefer to go with someone well known. Believe me, I speak from experience.

Carol 8)

Old April 21st, 2006, 09:15 PM
Admiral

To be fair, there are one or two legitimate home based agencies out there. It is important to do your research and speak to people who actually have experience with the agency. Good luck in your search.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old April 26th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you would please email me at peakcitytravel@yahoo.com I will gladly talk to you about how I became a TA part-time at home. This was something I thought about doing for several years and finally did so in Feb of this year. For different reasons I do not want to discuss further on this board.
Old April 26th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I agree with Mary Lou. In this day and age there are BIG opportunities for people who have the drive to sell cruises out of their homes.

But the trick is to get involved with a company who is going to send business your way so you don't have to do your own marketing.

If you are an experienced cruise agent, and want to make the move out of your house there are some great opportunities, but do NOT get caught up with any company that doesn't have a track record.

I would think any truly reputable company would be able to give you at least 5 phone numbers of other agents affiliated with them who are doing well.

I know one of our advertisers has 100s of home-based agents who paid a small fee to join, but once they are part of the network they get leads sent to them all day long. All they gave to do is close the sale. But this company will only accept cruise agents with proven track records - there is no training program or anything like that. They turn down more applicants than they accept.

Also be aware a card mills. These are companies tell you they will get you listed as a travel agent with their official identity numbers and you can book your own travel and start getting the perks of a travel agent right away. Most of the time you end up paying money to access their computer network where you can book travel at a higher rate than you could find yourself online with no accreditation.