Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Passenger

Default Birth certificate with maiden name

Some members of our group will be using birth certificates with names (maiden) different from their current married name. Will this cause a problem? Has anyone encountered this before? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Hi dlssailor,

This shouldn't be a problem if you are cruising this year. If you plan on cruising (or going anywhere outside the US) NEXT year, you'll all need a passport. Just to be on the safe side, your friends should bring a copy of their marriage certificate.

If you have the time before your cruise, I'd recommend you all get passports. It makes everything so much easier and faster!

People who aren't "paying attention" will be applying for passports in the latter half of this year, so you might want to consider doing it NOW!

Have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would just recommend getting passports, problem would then be solved and by the end of this year, they will be required anyway.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Birth certificate is fine, they will need another form of ID as a drivers license.

As the others commented a passport is the best. If for some reason an emergency came up outside the USA and you need to get back home the passport will clear the way much easier.

Passports to some seem expensive, but divided by the 10 years they are good for is very reasonable.

Old May 5th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

When I booked my first cruise the TA told me to bring my birth cert and marriage cert if my name was different than on my birth cert. The cruise was to Ensenada and no one even asked for my marriage cert. My second cruise was Mexican Riviera, and they made a point of asking for my marriage cert as well as birth cert, so I was glad I took it. It probably just depends on who you get that day. If you are not wanting to get a passport yet, definitely take both birth certificate and marriage certificate, plus photo ID.
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

My TA also told me to bring my marriage certificate as well as my birth certificate. I was glad she told me as I was asked for it. Since then I got a passport. I agree with the others, if you have time get the passport. If not, make sure all those ladies have their marriage certificates too.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old May 5th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Admiral

when and where are you cruising? After 12/31/06 you will need a passport to cruise just about everywhere. Some islands have tightened their immigration laws already and require passports, Aruba is one (i think)
Otherwise all of you will need a certified copy with a raised-seal or watermark, of your birth certificate, a picture id and the marriage certificate. (it can really be a hassle fumbling with those 3 documents + any immigration forms) while in line.
Old May 5th, 2006, 01:25 PM
First Mate

Just get a passpsort. I can't understand why some of our friends south of the border are loathe to do so. We live in an age of heightened security, and EVERYONE should have one. Consider yourselves lucky, yours is cheaper and good for ten years, Canadians need new ones every five years.
Old May 6th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Passenger

Thanks, all. Hubby and I have passports and regularly visit 'north of the border' where we keep our boat. I was mostly wondering for my Mom (83) and my sister-in-law's mom (88) whose birth certificates are quite old. I think we are all clear for a great time. Thanks again.
Old May 6th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

sailor: It's unanimous! Go for the passport soonest possible. The longer you put it off the more time it takes and standing in line just to get processed could take a toll on your patience! Download the PDF application forms from the U.S. Dept. of State, Passport Site. All requirements are clear, what original documents you'll need (with raised seal from issuing agency), proof of birth, proof of citizenship, proof of current residence, etc. The total cost is $97.00 for 10 years. What else can guarantee you the right to come and go as you please, where you please for $9.70 a year? Once you have the passport, you can renew on line or by mail for the rest of your life! The first step on this road is the most vital - most cruise lines require that you possess a valid passport prior to traveling, although not federally mandated til Dec. 06, some won't let you cruise to foreign destinations because of lengthy custom agencies in some places - remember, they must clear on behalf of each registered passenger. It's inevitable - beat the rush and do it yesterday! Meanwhile, if cruising in next month or two, bring all I.D. and docs PLUS certified marriage license (not the one from your religious ceremony - the one from the issuing legal agency of your state). Nuff said.....happy waves to you.

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days