Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 5th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Passenger

Default Family cruising - ships will pull out couch sleeping

Hi,

My wife and I have been on 3 RCL cruises. We are looking to go on another cruise with my 5 year old. We just went to an all inclusive in Mexico that had a pull out couch for sleeping that worked out great. We would like to be in a cabin with some type of pull-out for sleeping. I know Disney has them. The RCL cabins we had were very small, but we have not been on some of the bigger ships. What other lines offer some type of pull out? We are looking at Carnival and RCL, maybe Disney. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are looking at going in the Fall. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Many cabins have pull out couches for sleeping. Most cruise lines do have convertible sofas in "triple cabins". Holland America, Carnival, Royal Caribbean all have these cabins in suite, balcony, outside and insides.

Check with your travel agent or look at the deck plans. On Carnival they are marked with a star. On Holland America they are marked with square and on Royal Caribbean they are marked with a triangle.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 5th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Passenger

Thanks Mike!!! That helps a ton. Take care.
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Admiral

Also the new Freedom of the Seas (RCCL) has larger than normal standard cabins, they have sofa beds and some have pullmans.
You have to look at the ships deck plans, and cabin classess it will tell you.
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Also, if you should book a cabin with an upper, it will simply pull out from the ceiling and during the day, it will be back all tucked up and until you go to dinner, then your cabin attendant will get it ready for sleeping, otherwise, its usually a sleeper sofa.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the info Donna. I assume the upper pullman beds are elevated somewhat. I just wondered how far down they come from the ceiling. I have a 5 year old which would probably love it, but you never know since he doesn't have a bunk bed now. A sofabed might be a better option. Anyway, I assume when I book my cruise that my travel agent will be able to get a sofabed or lower pullman as long as I request it and the deck plan is up to date. From my quick review of some deck plans, it seems that the amount of cabins with sofabeds varies greatly from ship to ship and deck to deck.

Shawn
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

On almost all lines they are almost flush against the wall and are completely out of the way during the day.

On our last Holland America cruise on Statendam the bed popped up into the ceiling and was flush and you really didn't even know it was there. I was tempted to ask our steward to pop it down so I could look at it. Or perhaps sleep up there and recapture my youth.

Just be careful: On some cabins the floor beds need to be split in order to have the pull down bed lowered. This is so the ladder can be put up.

It doesn't help if mom and dad want the beds together.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me