Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2006, 01:12 PM
First Mate

Default Question about NYC Terminal

I'm taking a cruise out of NYC this summer and had a few questions about the terminal. We will be flying into JFK and taking the subway into the city. I understand that there is not subway service directly to the ports, but what is the closest station to get off the subway at to walk to the piers? I've heard Columbus and I've also heard Grand Central. It will be a cruise onboard NCL if this matters.

Also, we will be taking a bus back from the cruise to our home. It leaves from the Port Authority. Anyone know how long of a walk this is from the piers? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2006, 03:40 PM
First Mate

Default Directions from JFK

The easiest way and least difficult way...

When coming out of JFK, make your way to the Airtrain. You'll take the Airtrain to the station called "Jamaica/Sutphin Blvd/LIRR Station". At that station you follow the signs to the E train (the blue line) for Manhattan.

The E train will take you all the way into Manhattan. The closest and easiest stop will be 50th Street (it will take about a half hour to get there from JFK). When you come out of the subway you will be on 9th Avenue and 50th Street. The piers are at/or around 56th and 11ave (if you walk: you would need to walk north 6 blocks and west 2 avenues), it is alot to walk when you've got luggage, so treat yourself to a cab when you get out of the subway, it shouldn't be more than $5/$6.

Coming back from the cruise, you will need to get to 42nd Street and 8th Avenue (that's over 10 blocks south and 3 Avenues east). Not a fun walk with luggage (trust me)...I would give yourself a break and take a cab to Port Authority (only about $5).

This answer is from my daughter who works in NYC and has flown in and out of JFK so she knows whats she is talking about. Good luck
Old June 12th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Passenger

Hi,

I live in NYC (Queens, NY to be exact) and I'm leaving on 6/17 ON NCL Dawn and I'm planning to take a cab. Taking public transportation w/all that luggage, up and down stairs isn't anyway to start a fun filled cruise.

Treat yourself and take a cab from JFK.

Cheryl

Celebrity Horizon '92
Norweign Dawn '07
"hoping for a lot more!!"
Old June 19th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Airport to passenger ship terminal

Wouldn't NCL offer a transfer bus from airport direct to pierside on sailing day? Ask your travel agent about this, or ask NCL yourself. Of course, if it's 15 or 20 bucks a person, and there's three or four in your party, it would be cheaper, not to mention more convenient, to take a cab.