Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Passenger

Default Train travel to cruise from Venice.

I'm flying into Milan from Philly because it's a nonstop flight and is about half the price of flying into Venice. I can take the train (trenitalia) from Milan to Venice for under $30, give or take a few dollars, depending on whether I go 1st class or 2nd class. I've been unable to find a description of the difference in accommodations between the two options. My question is, "Does anyone know what the difference is between 1st class and 2nd class on the train?" Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Admiral

Space....your call on how you value space.

Be aware that there are two train stations in Venice - Maestre and Santa Lucia. Maestre is still a cab drive away from the docks. Santa Lucia is actually in Venice, but, if I remember correctly, hard to get to piers via land. Water taxis are expensive even for this very short trip When I researched this a few years back, I actually planned on getting off in Maestre and taking a cab.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old May 20th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Admiral

Marc is correct regarding value of space..you did not indicate when you are going, so I'll assume in the next few months and having travel the train in europe in the summer and for the experience I would go 1st clas even thou it's a really short trip..or you can go first class going and 2nd class returning which I think will really add to the experience

thanks for the heads up about flying into Milan instead of Venice...if you have a few extra days, spend them in Milan..it's a beautiful city

which ship and itin are you taking out of Venice and when ? my friend is thinking about doing the 7 day Greek Islands out of Venice on Splendor of the Seas this fall
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Passenger

Default Marc and Venice

Thanks for the advise. Yes, I knew I needed to go from Milano Stazione Centrale Station to Venezia Santa Lucia station. US Air just began flying nonstop from Philly to Milan and they offered an introductory price for the new route. I'm cruising on MSC, an Italian cruiseline, out of Venice to Bari, Santorini, Athens, Corfu and Dubronik. That's not all the places I wanted to go, but that makes for another trip next year and the year after. If I do too much at one time, it becomes too much of a rat race, not enough time to stop and smell the roses and adequately appreciate each place. Thanks for the information.