Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Driving to Port of New York

What are the pros and cons of driving to the Port of New York for a cruise on day of sail. We live in the Boston area, and drive a car that gets great mileage. I understand the parking would be $180 for an 8-day cruise, but even with the tolls and gas, that's a lot cheaper than flying or taking the train, which would cost us close to $200 in cab fare just to get to the airport or train station! We were given directions, but have never been there and want to know ahead of time if it's difficult to find and how is the traffic on weekends? We are looking at an '07 cruise that leaves the Saturday before Thanksgiving and returns the Sunday after the holiday.
Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I think it would be easy to find. Assuming you can find the West Side Highway in Manhattan you would just head south until you hit 57th st. You will then begin so see signs that say "cruise terminal parking" on the right - just pull in. There is a very reasonable parking lot at 59th st and 10th Ave. I used it for monthly parking my car for years. A taxi to the ship from there would only be about $2.50.
Old May 31st, 2006, 02:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Paul, Thanks for getting back to me. Could you please tell me how much is the parking per day in the lot you mentioned, and how far is that from Pier 88? Do you have to call a cab from the lot, or are there cabs around like you always see in the movies? We've never been to NY City. Thanks.
Old June 6th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Passenger

If you come down the West Side Highway from the George Washington Bridge area, the highway ends right at the Pier entrance. Parking at the terminal is $24/day according to the website (http://www.nypst.com/). Yuo can also go to citysearch.com and look up parking garages in the area. They'll even give you quotes, as well as enable you to make a reservation.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Big Red Boat July 1988
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Maybe take the Metro North Train from Connecticut. I take the Metro from Beacon NY to NYC and roundtrip is around $25.00 and parking at their station was less then $30.00 for the week.
http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm