Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Beginner

Default Late July-Alaska or Carribean??

We are trying to decide where would be better to go the last week of July. It's between Alaska or the Carribean. We're concerned it will be hot and sticky (especially on shore) in the Carribean, but don't want cold, dark, and rainy weather, either. Also, this will be our first cruise! Any suggestions? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Admiral

I can't think of a reason to go to the Caribbean in the summer time. Hot and a chance of storms. Save Caribbean for winter when you are leaving the cold behind at home.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old June 11th, 2006, 09:25 PM
First Mate

It shouldn't be cold, dark and rainy in August in the inland passage.

In the Caribbean, August = hurricane season (very hot, very humid). That would make my decision!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old June 11th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Alaska will be neither Cold (except for on a glacier) or dark (end of July will be about 12 - 13 hours of daylight. There is always a possibility of Rain during the summer months in Alaska (however, we got lucky 3 years ago as they were in a drought and hadn't had any rain for 3 weeks) and weather could be a factor on some excursions (our dog slediing excursion was cancelled due to fog (which happens often from what we were told).

Caribbean will be Hot (although not that much hotter than usual but it could be more humid and hurricanes are a concern).

Cost would be a big factor. Alaska will be more expensive (at least excursions) than the Caribbean.

For what I spent on my Alask trip I would have preferred to spend a week or two inland and really enjoy all that Alaska has to offer. To me cruising is warm weather and beaches (not that I don't enjoy the cruise experience itself).

I say get a good deal on the Caribbean cruise, get insurance just in case, and enjoy your first cruise.

Sovereign - 3/99
Paradise - 4/00
Majesty - 11/00
Monarch - 12/02 (XMAS)
Radiance - 8/03 (AK) & 11/03
Adventure - 4/04, 3/05, 8/06
Navigator - 11/05
Century - 12/06
Serenade - 3/07

Adventure of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Beginner

Thanks so much for the replies. Unfortunately, we're finding that the Alaska cruises are really getting full. Some say "waitlist only" when we try to choose a cabin. It may end up being the Carribean after all. We are used to HEAT, being from Phoenix, but not humidity!
Old June 12th, 2006, 04:00 PM
First Mate

If you choose the Caribbean in July make sure you have travel insurance. I would go for Alaska at that time, as the weather should be pretty nice in July. That is the best time of year in Seattle and Vancouver at least in my opinion.

Just keep in mind that if you go to the Caribbean you may not go to the ports in the brochure since the ships will divert to avoid hurricanes.

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Alaska for heaven's sake Do the Caribbean in January or February

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998