CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   How long before I call the cruise line? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/316403-how-long-before-i-call-cruise-line.html)

SIMark June 29th, 2006 02:08 PM

How long before I call the cruise line?

I know I might be jumping the gun here, but how long should I wait before contacting the cruise line for my documents? We are sailing on the Seven Seas Mariner July 26. The RSSC website says I should have my documents by 25 days before departure.

Should I become worried yet and contact Radisson? Or be patient until next Friday (7/7)? I am so excited, hence my enthusiasm to get the docs :) .

Also, in the same context, when should I start bugging my travel agent for my air info and the pre/post cruise reservations?

Thanks,

Mark

LisaK June 29th, 2006 02:27 PM

If you don't receive them 2 weeks before you cruise, then call your travel agent and have them get on it for you.

SIMark June 29th, 2006 02:32 PM

Lisa,

Not to sound too thickheaded, but since I booked the cruise seperately from everything else, should I contact Radisson sooner?

Thanks,
Mark

Mike M June 29th, 2006 05:44 PM

Did you book the cruise directly with Regent (Radisson's new name) or with a travel agent? If you used an agent then you should contact the agent and the agent inquire about the documents and the status of the booking.

If you have a valid booking number and the cruise line has charged your credit card for the final payment you should be fine. The agency should not have charged the payment.

I have received documents anywhere from 60 days to 3 days before boarding. Actually, you don't need documents to board the ship. If you are on the manifest and have proper identification you are good to go.

Have a great time. I'm quite sure you will have a wonderful time on your Regent Seven Seas cruise.

Take care,
Mike

LisaK June 30th, 2006 09:58 AM

Mark, you booked the cruise on your own not with your TA, correct??
IF it would put your mind at ease, by all means call the cruise line, all you need is your booking number. Technically, as Mike said you don't need documents to board the ship, all your info is in the system. IF you don't get your docs all you would need to do when you arrive at the pier, go to one of the porters and get the correct luggage tags for your checked baggage, and then go into the terminal and check in.

SIMark June 30th, 2006 01:15 PM

Mike/Lisa,

First, let me clarify a bit. I "won" the cruise through a charity auction at work. One of the departmetns donated a 8 day/7 night cruise to either the Caribean or Alaska. I bid on it and won, so naturally decided Alaska as the destination. When I was talking with the travel service that the cruise was purchased through I felt as if I was getting the hard sell for both air and pre/post cruise add-ons. So I went with my own travel agent.
Hence, I do have a booking number, but no actual receipt for the cruise.

I appreciate the reassurances from you both. And Mike, you are correct it is Regent now instead of Radisson.

Mark

Mike M June 30th, 2006 02:47 PM

Mark:

Under these circumstances I would call Regent make sure everything is set up and ready to go. Explain how you obtained the cruise and your excitement and they will probably be more than happy to verify your booking.

You've probably cruised before and know this but cruise lines usually only deal with the booking agent and not the passenger. The agent is actually their customer if the agent made the booking.

Take care and have a great time.
Mike

SIMark June 30th, 2006 03:22 PM

Mike,

This is only my 2nd cruise. The first was my honeymoon 18 years ago, and now for our anniversary :D .

Being slightly paranoid I just called Regents, who told me they sent the docs to the travel agent my firm used on the 26th. They said that the travel agent in turn will forward them to me. Wouldn't it be easier to jsut send it directly to the passenger?

As for being excited, that is an understatement, along with being nervous. Last time we cruised was 18 years ago on the Big Red Boat (Disney). Now we're going on Regents - a world of difference. My wife is only concerned that we "fit in".

In the meantime I have booked the excursions online, for which I have to thank the people here on Cruisemates.com for their suggestions.

Mark

Mike M June 30th, 2006 04:35 PM

Mark:
You have nothing to worry about. This is Standard Operating Procedure. The agent will review the documents and make sure they are in order and then send them on to you and add any other any other information they deem needed for your cruise. Most of the "stuff" is not needed and will end up in a drawer or the trash but it sure is fun reading it.

You will need the embarkation information, the luggage tags, fill out the immigration forms and bring those with you. There may also be online registration that you can do on the RSSC.com website. You can check that out. You probably have already done that since you have pre-booked your shore excursions.

in regard to fitting in, I wouldn't worry about it. Just be yourself and enjoy.

Take care,
Mike

judysalyers July 1st, 2006 01:27 PM

You are going to love Alaska!!!!!!!! Anything that you've ever saw on TV or seen in magazines, does not do Alaska justice. We live in the mountains, but the views were just incrediable!!!!!
Have a great time!