CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Balcony and 2 small children (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/316710-balcony-2-small-children.html)

wkeely July 5th, 2006 01:11 PM

Balcony and 2 small children

My husband and I have booked a balcony room and we have a 4 year old boy and 7 year old girl. My husband is afraid that our boy will some how get past us while we are sleeping, open the door to the balcony and fall off....Since this is our first cruise, does anyone know what type of locks are on the balcony doors? Is there plexy glass on the balcony railment or ???? Any information is great! THANKS...PS..>We are sailing on the Carnival Victory ship. THANKS again!

judysalyers July 5th, 2006 01:40 PM

I don't know about the locks on the balcony doors. BUT...there is plexiglass on the balcony and the balcony is a little higher than waist high(I'm 5'8"). There are usually 2 deck chairs and a small table where you might sit a beverage. Way too much temptation for little guys to climb and look over!
In my opinion, I would be worried constantly about a balcony with children that age. They aren't old enough to know the danger and if you took your eye off them for just a second, you would have a disaster.
Probably you would be ok at night, but my fear would be getting dressed. The cabins are small and in the hustle and bustle of getting dressed, unpacking, etc, you are more likely to not be as watchful as you would need to be.
Of course, my knees get weak when my husband is standing on the balcony and leans over to take a picture.
I'm sure there are parents that have had a balcony with small children, maybe they will have some suggestions or ideas.
The little guys are going to have a great time!

Darcy July 5th, 2006 03:44 PM

I have to agree with the previous poster about balconys and young children. While they can't easily fall off as the plexiglass is at least waist high (or more depending on how tall you are) on an adult, it would be very easy for them to climb on the chairs or table and be up high enough to fall over.

Ron July 5th, 2006 05:12 PM

Personaly with kids that small I wouldn't have a balcony cabin if it was free. As others said, they can climb up on a chair or table to peek over and could possibly fall overboard. That's just me, but boy, I would rather have them in an outside cabin where they can be 100 % safe.

LisaK July 6th, 2006 11:06 AM

your 4-year old will not even be able to open the balcony door, they are very heavy. You can lock them. Is your son in the habit of getting up in the middle of the night to go exploring?? Close the drapes, they will make noise if he tries to move them.They are pretty heavy also, he would have a hard time moving them. Put something in front of the balcony door at night to block it. Keep and eye on him during the day, he would have to push a chair or table over to the edge of the balcony, climb up onto the chair or table to be able to just see over the balcony.

hazelson July 9th, 2006 01:38 AM

It might be a good idea to have your cabin steward remove the balcony chairs and table - just to be on the safe side. As Lisa K said - the door is really heavy. Another concern I might have with small children - the balcony doors close really fast because they are so heavy - be sure to keep little fingers away from the hinged side.

Just keep the balcony door locked and be with the kiddies when they are out on the balcony.

ttfn Jennifer

venice July 9th, 2006 07:18 AM

the fact that you are stressing over it, should tell you not to book a balcony with your kids...go oceanview and enjoy yourself

judysalyers July 10th, 2006 12:10 PM

Check and see if there are cabins with large floor to ceiling windows or even a large window seat where the kids can climb up on and see out.(The window can not be opened). We had this type of cabin with the Celebration with two grandchildren and they loved it.
Our daughter wouldn't even consider letting the two kids go with us unless we promised not to go on a cruise where there would be a balcony.

wkeely July 11th, 2006 01:02 PM

Thanks to you all for your advice. Our children do listen to us and we would not let them out on the balcony without us, so I feel ok...My husband we a little concerned. We are going to buy one of those little removeable alarms that goes off if the door is open. I read a suggestion about doing that on another web site.!! :D