Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 22nd, 2006, 12:18 AM
Passenger

Default Change of Itinerary

I am booked on the HAL Westerdam for November 19th. Our itinerary has been changed from visiting Costa Maya to visiting Key West. My question is why would they do this and why was I not somehow notified? I suppose that if I had made plans or booked excursions this would have been a prblem! Thankfully I did not!

HAL Oosterdam
Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2006, 06:05 AM
Admiral

Sometimes it is because the ship isn't able to dock at a particular port for any given reason. Too many ships in port, work being performed at the pier, etc. If you booked through a TA, he/she would have been notified and you should in turn should have been notified. I find it is always a good idea to keep any eye on my cruise on the cruiseline's website. If there is a change, I see shortly after it has been announced. My best advice to cruisers is that you really need to be flexible and go with the flow. Sometimes things change, but you can still have a wonderful time.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old July 22nd, 2006, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Weather can be a BIG reason why itineraries get changed. I've had that happen many times. Sometimes, a storm will make it too dangerous to bring the ship into the port. Post hurricane damage can also cause a change. We went on one cruise a couple of years ago when a hurricane hit right before we were to sail. No one knew how bad things were until the last minute. As we boarded, we were given a copy of the new itinerary and offered a complete refund if we were unhappy with it. We sailed anyway!
Marty
Old July 23rd, 2006, 11:53 AM
Passenger

Yes, and sometimes they change for their own reasons - no explanation given. This happened to us on our last cruise - supposed to visit the Pearl Islands and instead were booked into Panama - then they charged us extra for the port charges. We chose that particular cruise for the itinerary and lost out. This was changed well before sailing but after the final payments were made and we were not notified at all, nor was our TA.

I have never been able to find any changes to itineraries on HAL's website but in any case, when the change is made after final payment there is nothing you can do.

Of course we had a good cruise anyway, but if we had known ahead of time we would have chosen a different itinerary and ship.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Why not write them a letter and say what you just said. You stated it politely and while it may not do any good, at least they would know how you feel.
Marty
Old July 23rd, 2006, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Default Fine Print

If you read the fine print on your cruise contract you will see that the Captain or cruise line can change the itinerary. It happened to us...we had intended to go to Bermuda from NYC and a hurricane was bearing down on Bermuda...a decision by the cruise company and weather people was made at 11:00 a.m. and the decision was to go to Canada...Well, since I've been to those ports I was disappointed but thrilled.. I wish you could have seen some of the passengers throwing tantrums and several girls crying.. Seriously!! Bermuda was badly hit by the storm and the cruie to Halifax, St. John, Bar Harbor, Boston and Newport was a delightful surprise to many people we met on the ship..they never expected it to be so pleasant.. So, the answer is... it's out of your hands..