Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2006, 08:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Houston Hobby to Galveston

What's the best way IYHO to get to the pier in Galveston from Hobby Hou. We will arrive 1 day early. Should we spend a night near the airport and catch a hotel shuttle back to Hobby for the transportation to the pier. Or get a hotel near the pier the day that we fly in. What way would be more convenient.
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2006, 10:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

I researched this quite a bit before our upcoming trip. There are several options, unfortunately none of them are inexpensive. We are on Carnival, and the cruise line charges $60 per person round trip for their shuttle. For four of us that would be $240.00! There is a shuttle service called Galvestonlimo that charges $50.pp per person round trip from Hobby. That still seemed like a lot to me for four people. If it was only the two of us I would probably use them. We are doing two one-way car rentals. We will pick up our car at Hobby Sunday afternoon and drive to Galveston where we have a room booked at Harbor House, right on the pier. Drop off the car before boarding on Monday, and then when we get back on Saturday another rental car back to Hobby. The total cost is about $130.00, much less than the other options for a party of four. They charge the one-way drop off fee in Galveston but not in Houston. I would definitely go to Galveston the night before, it's a typical seaside town, whereas the area around Hobby, from what I understand, is not that great a neighborhood (just what I've heard, no personal experience)
Old August 5th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Second the motion!

We agree with centralcalicruzer! We used Enterprise Rent-a-Car (ERAC) in January 2006. There were four of us with lots of luggage, so we rented a mini-van. When we used ERAC, we had to make separate reservation for each leg, but it was very simple and they were very accomodating. We called 1-800-rentacar and asked for the HoustonHobby Airport desk, and made our first leg, then we asked the Houston rep for the direct phone number to the Galveston ERAC office. It all went very smoothly. Following our cruise, we had enough time to visit the NASA Space Center on the way back to the airport. It's right on the way to Hobby.

We found a hotel over on the Sea Wall area - but it kinda sucked, so I won't recommend it. The Harbor House is good, and we will try the Hotel Galvez on our next cruise out of Galveston.

LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old August 5th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Lightsluvr, what time was your flight from Hobby? We fly out at 4:30 on Saturday August 26. What time do you think we should leave Galveston if we want to hang around there a while after we get off the ship? We'll probably want to hang with our daughter a little bit (works on the Ecstasy) since we won't see her again until November. I was thinking if we left Galveston by about 1:30 we should have plenty of time to drive to Hobby, turn in car, get checked in, etc. Does that sound about right or would you leave earlier? Don't want to sit around the airport all day, but don't want to miss our flight either because of traffic!
Old August 6th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Return flight

Our flight left about the same time as yours...we had spent the previous day in Galveston, and thought we had seen pretty much everything we wanted to see, so we got our rental car and drove to the Space Center where we spent several enjoyable hours.

Our flight was on a Sunday, so traffic was (relatively) light. It only took about 50 minutes total driving time from the port to the rental car-drop off. If your cruise is on a weekday, I would allow twice that long.Since we have only sailed on the Rhapsody from Galveston, our departure was always on Sunday. Perhaps some folks from the Houston area might have more input on driving conditions on other days.

That being said, your suggested timing sounds very safe, subject to Murphy's Law.
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old August 6th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

The Ecstasy returns on a Saturday that week, so we should have pretty much the same type of traffic as a Sunday. Of course you never know what could happen in terms of an accident on the road or something. We'll probably just play it by ear and see what we want to do depending on what time we disembark. Thanks for the help.
Old September 25th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Beginner

Houstonian here! If you leave Galveston by 1:30 on Saturday, you should have plenty of time to get to Hobby and drop of the car, etc... You'll likely have less traffic leaving Galveston on Saturday than you would going to Galveston on Sat. On Sunday, you would likely have more traffic leaving.
Old September 26th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the response, CraiZyDaiZy, our trip was last month! Everything worked out great as far as traffic and the rental car. It was so easy to drive to Galveston from Hobby. I would do it that way again in a heartbeat. It was really nice to have the car to drive to dinner and the sea wall Sunday night, and then Monday morning after our daughter got off the Ecstasy (she's the production singer) we were able to take her on a few errands, to Wal-Mart, etc., plus buy some sodas, water and wine for ourselves. We actually ended up wishing we had come to Galveston a day earlier, we would have liked to go to Moody Gardens or the Schlitterbahn. Oh well, there's always next time!
Old September 26th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Beginner

OOPS! Sorry! I was so absorbed in reading everything I possibly could, that I didn't look at dates! So it is obvious that I'm a first timer! So glad everything worked out so well. You won't be disappointed if you get to come back and go to Moody Gardens and Schlitterbahn.

Jeannie