Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Yeoman

Default Mobility Scooter Rental

I would like to rent a mobility scooter for our next cruise in Oct. I have called "Care Vacations" and was quoted, what I consider, an unreasonable rate. I could buy one for the price of renting one from them twice! We are sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale. Does anyone here know of any other places in that area to rent one of these?
Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2006, 03:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Cruisequeen,
Found Care Vacations is over priced and have used them many times in the past when necessary. Feel they are taking advantage of the challenged.

You have three options.
1. Purchase your own scooter and get medical approval from a doctor and write it off as a medical tax expense (or old enough through Medicare).

2. Rent from a local supplier and bring it with you. The airlines MUST conform to the ADA when it comes to medical mobility, oxygen etc.

3. As you asked a supplier in FLL. Not a great idea sorry to say. Complications can occur.

Got a scooter for my wife on the last two cruises and all worked out well. Just need to notify the cruise line.

Need more info, e-mail me or PM.

Old August 11th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Yeoman

Thanks for your suggestions. I am in the midst of trying to get "Pre Approval" for a scooter through insurance. This has been such a hassle. But I am afraid this will not all happen before we need to leave. I will check locally about renting. that's a great idea. Wish I just knew someone I could "borrow" one from and give them a little something $$ for letting me use it. I'll keep looking. Now there's a market for someone in the FLL area!
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

check the internet for local rental places in FL - a few years ago, I found one for a friend when we were going to Disney for a convention. I think it was $30 a day - they delivered to the hotel and picked up.