CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Is alchol allowed in your suitcase? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/319491-alchol-allowed-your-suitcase.html)

christy008 August 21st, 2006 03:57 PM

Is alchol allowed in your suitcase?

My boyfriend and i are going on a cruise in september. Can we bring our own alcohol if its not opened yet?

reverendjeff August 21st, 2006 04:21 PM

The policy of the cruise lines is no. Except for wine.
Welcome to Cruisemates!

crabbie1 August 21st, 2006 05:15 PM

Is alcohol allowed in your suitcase ?

christy008 - Welcome to cruisemates. The best site online.

As reverendjeff stated, you are only allowed to take wine onboard in your suitcase. If you have it opened while dining, thre will be a "corkage fee" of $15. Someone on another post said it ccost ehem $20 ????
If you drink it in your stateroom, there is no crakage fee.

Have a great cruise.
crabbie1

crabbie1 August 21st, 2006 05:18 PM

Is alcohol allowed in your suitcase ?

christy008

That should have been spelled corkage, not crakage.

crabbie1

Marc August 21st, 2006 08:04 PM

Some cruiselines let you bring onboard as much alcohol as you want. Others have varying policies. Which cruise line are you sailing?

christy008 August 22nd, 2006 05:18 AM

regarding bringing alchol

Hi marc, we are sailing on the royal carribbean out of port caanaveral.

rosetattoo August 22nd, 2006 11:05 AM

I believe the stated policy on RCI and CCL does not allow you to bring alcoholic beverages onboard. That said, people find very creative ways to sneak alcohol in their carry on or checked luggage.

tracey12 August 23rd, 2006 12:50 PM

I know bags are scanned, but if they see a bottle in your checked luggage at the ship, what are they going to do!
Surely they won't ask you to take it out, bags are put in the room anyway by the crew

rosetattoo August 23rd, 2006 07:52 PM

I'd be afraid the bottle would break and ruin my clothes, not worth it.

BEACH DOUG August 23rd, 2006 10:11 PM

Do a search and you'll find lots of interesting threads :)

Chris64 August 24th, 2006 09:12 AM

All the do-gooders will tell you you can't and it's not allowed.

When I cruise, I don't try to hide anything. I do like to have a drink in my room while waiting for the lovely wife to get ready for dinner, etc.

So I just pack the bottle just the way it comes from the store, no disguising, no putting it in other bottles.I wrap it in bubble wrap and between a few towels. Never had any problem.

Just go, enjoy and do what your heart desires.

Oh, by the way, I drink Crown which has a very distinctive shape and no one has confiscated it. And if they do, so be it.

Kuki August 24th, 2006 10:21 AM

Quote:

All the do-gooders will tell you you can't and it's not allowed.
Would that be all the people who think it's right to abide by the rules set out my the business they ar dealing with rather than set their own? :wink:

Fact of the matter is I don't think the cruise line ever had any objections to people bringing liquor onboard to consume in the privacy of their cabins.

They instituted more stringent rules against liquor when they found so many people bringing liquor onboard, mixing their own drinks and taking them out into the public areas of the ship.

The old rules sort of proved the addage... give em an inch, they'll......

blueliner August 24th, 2006 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracey12
I know bags are scanned, but if they see a bottle in your checked luggage at the ship, what are they going to do!
Surely they won't ask you to take it out, bags are put in the room anyway by the crew

They most certainly will have you take it out of your bag in the security office before they deliver your bag to your cabin. On RCI ships, if the luggage scan shows a questionable item, they will not deliver your bag but hold it in security. You will have to open your bag in their presence and show the item to security.

Last year I took my scuba gear with me on Mariner OTS and had my scuba knife which I strap to my leg in my checked baggage. Security held my bag and I had to go open it and turn in the knife to security, when we got to St. Thomas and St. Maarten, I had to call security ahead of time and they gave me the knife back as I got off the ship with my scuba gear and I turned it in when I reboarded.

I have seen numerous times where RCI security has confiscated alcohol from guests boarding the ship, they hold it for them until the end of the cruise and give it back to them as they disembark.

blueliner August 25th, 2006 07:53 PM

Re: regarding bringing alchol

Quote:

Originally Posted by christy008
Hi marc, we are sailing on the royal carribbean out of port caanaveral.

Here is Royal Caribbean's alcohol policy direct from their web site.

ALCOHOL POLICY
Effective as of all sailings commencing on or after July 28, 2006, the minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on all Royal Caribbean International ships is 21.

- However, on cruises departing from European and South American countries, where the legal drinking age is typically lower than 21, a parent who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) who is between the ages of 18 to 20, may sign a waiver allowing the 18 to 20 year old to consume alcoholic beverages.

- The 18- to 20 year-old must agree to comply with Royal Caribbean's policies, including among other things, agreeing to not provide alcoholic beverages to any other person, regardless of age. Restrictions apply, and this policy is subject to change without notice.

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Royal Caribbean's Guest Vacation Policy may be enforced, up to and including disembarkation, if a guest violates any alcohol policy. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.

Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Vacation Policys.

Royal Caribbean reserves the right to revoke or otherwise restrict drinking privileges of any guest, regardless of age.

jcs August 27th, 2006 04:06 PM

Just returned from Alaska on Royal Caribbean. A person at our table in the dining room said she bought some bourbon in Vancouver. When checking in at the therminal she was carrying it in a bag that was clearly marked alcohol. Since she intended to use it on their after cruise week in Alaska she kept asking around trying to find out how to "check it" with someone to be claimed after the cruise and no one could answer her question so she walked right on with her bag.