Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 21st, 2006, 10:05 AM
Passenger

Default Splitting up seniors to lower fare

My parents are wanting to take a cruise for their 40th wedding anniversary (parents both over 55) and unfortunately due to things I cannot control we are on a budget. I have found a cruise that will fit the budget except for one cabin in which my sister and her friends will both be in. They are from Illinois and have no discounts available to apply to them.

I have heard it is possible (for booking purposes) to place one of my senior parents with my sister and the other with her friend so that they can take advantage of the senior rate room, which is a good amount of savings.

The question is - if we book it this way, will we be able to flop everything at checkin so that my parents will still be able to room together? If not, is there another way we could pull this off? I realize this is a little deceptive practice but we're on a budget and need all the savings we can get.

Thank you for all information.
Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2006, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Let us know if this works for you.
Old September 21st, 2006, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Splitting up seniors to lower fare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmick
I have heard it is possible (for booking purposes) to place one of my senior parents with my sister and the other with her friend so that they can take advantage of the senior rate room, which is a good amount of savings.

The question is - if we book it this way, will we be able to flop everything at checkin so that my parents will still be able to room together? If not, is there another way we could pull this off? I realize this is a little deceptive practice but we're on a budget and need all the savings we can get.
It depends on the cruise line and their booking policies. While no cruise ship does a bed check, so your parents can sleep in whatever cabin they want, I don't think you can change the reservations at check-in other than an upgrade if the cabin is availible. You can certainly try to book it with a senior in each cabin to get a lower price, but don't count on making the change back at embarkation.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old September 22nd, 2006, 11:14 AM
Admiral

You would have to go to the Purser's Desk once you board and get your key cards changed. Familes with kids do it all the time when they book more than one cabin because an adult must be registered in a cabin with a minor.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Don't you think that you are trying to defraud the cruise company? If this sort of activity would grow, it might be the end of senior discounts across the board. A similar thing happened when people brought on alcohol for in room consumption and started taking it around the ship.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old September 22nd, 2006, 03:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Dishonesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Don't you think that you are trying to defraud the cruise company? If this sort of activity would grow, it might be the end of senior discounts across the board. A similar thing happened when people brought on alcohol for in room consumption and started taking it around the ship.

As this poster said, that would be defrauding the cruiseline.
Dishonesty is a poor policy to practice. If you cannot afford to purchase your tickets honestly, you should not be going. Some of us cruisers live on tight budgets, and save up until we can afford to take a cruise. Maybe you need to wait a little longer to book, till you have saved enough and can afford to pay the appropriate fare for the age bracket of the passengers.
1/06 Island Princess - Hawaii
2/07 Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean
11/07 Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera
3/08 Diamond Princess - Hawaii
11/9/08 Tahitan Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia

Booked cruises:
9/13/09 Star Princess - Alaska
3/14/10 Golden Princess - Hawaii
Old September 22nd, 2006, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dishonesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamomo
As this poster said, that would be defrauding the cruiseline.
Dishonesty is a poor policy to practice. If you cannot afford to purchase your tickets honestly, you should not be going. Some of us cruisers live on tight budgets, and save up until we can afford to take a cruise. Maybe you need to wait a little longer to book, till you have saved enough and can afford to pay the appropriate fare for the age bracket of the passengers.[/b]
If the cruiseline being booked allowed the split of seniors into two cabins to save money, it really wouldn't be defrauding them now would it? The cruiselines aren't stupid, if someone were to try this and it weren't allowed, they would catch it and let the party know they can't book the cruise that way. If the cruiseline does allow it at booking, than no one's been defrauded, it is allowed.

This new guy comes in here and asks a legitimate booking question about saving some money. Let the cruiseline worry about if it is legitimate or not, don't jump all over this guy like that about his question. If you know the answer, answer it, if not, don't get up on your moral high horse and scold him because you don't like how he wants to book his cruise. Who are you to judge?

Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old September 22nd, 2006, 08:27 PM
Passenger

Thanks for backing me up Blueliner. It was an honest question and one situation that I did not come up with on my own. It was suggested to me by the Travel Agent that I have spoke to and it just sounded a little fishy to me. That's why I brought the question here. After all, it would be a shame to celebrate my parents 40 wedding anniversary by telling them "were going on the cruise, but I'm sorry, you can't room together because I received some bogus information from a travel agent that sold an idea to me." I even state that it seems a little deceptive to me.

However, due to the over 100 views of this topic in the past 2 days, I see a lot of people may be interested in the same thing.

Marc- your response was actually one that I expected and did not take offense to the content or the tone. I appreciate all angles. Didn't think it might jeopardize the senior discount program if this is consistently done.

FLAmomo- you seem like you are having a bad day, week, month, life of whatever. Because, as Blueliner stated you seem to be on some high moral horse and I did feel slightly scolded and possibly unwelcomed to post my question (as stupid as you may find it) in this open forum. The all bold lettering sets a tone of attitude for me also- was that purposely done? No need for you to answer any further of my postings- none of your response was informative so I assume any further question I may have will also be beneath you to give usable information.

I've decided not to go this way in order to insure that my parents anniversary will go off without a hitch, my sister and her friend will just have to cut back else where. I am still interested though if other have EXPERIENCE in this matter.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Dont want to get in a question about right or wrong so I'll just state what my PVP told me.Carnival does book cabins this way on a regular basis.I asked what if the seniors then bunked togeter.She said no problem.
I certainly am no expert having just cruised once.
I would suggest calling Carnival and asking straight out if this can be done.Then go from there.
Any ways it goes I wish you well,and have a happy safe cruise.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 11:07 PM
Admiral

I am glad you didn't take offense because, rereading what I wrote, it is a little harsh.

There are a lot of discounts based on state of residence that some TAs sell to their clients even if not allowable. There are many reports on these boards of people that did not even know that they were given a special rate and being socked with lots of extra fare when they get to the pier. Not to say that any cruiseline would do that to you here; I just don't trust the scruples of all TAs.

Again, sorry about the tone of my post.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old September 22nd, 2006, 11:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
This new guy comes in here and asks a legitimate booking question about saving some money. Let the cruiseline worry about if it is legitimate or not, don't jump all over this guy like that about his question
I didn't see anyone "JUMPING ALL OVER ANYONE" here actually. I think the responses were not any form of personal attack at all, but rather a reaction to the question... which even if you don't agree are valid, and worth discussing.

Thankfully it appears that's the way Ronmick seems to have taken it.

I did notice someone saying call Carnival, but I don't think Ronmick ever said what the cruise line was. But I do agree, call the cruise line and ask what their policy is.

As Marc said.. certainly I do know of cases where people were booked on specials they didn't qualify for and were expected to pay the difference before being allowed to board.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 11:22 PM
Admiral

I agree I should have said call the cruiseline involved,sorry about that
Old September 22nd, 2006, 11:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dishonesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamomo
Dishonesty is a poor policy to practice. If you cannot afford to purchase your tickets honestly, you should not be going. Maybe you need to wait a little longer to book, till you have saved enough and can afford to pay the appropriate fare for the age bracket of the passengers.[/b]
I must disagree Kuki, I think the above quote from the poster blatantly calling ronmick dishonest is "jumping all over him". But of course it's all subjective, what one person thinks is different from another.

Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old September 23rd, 2006, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmick
The question is - if we book it this way, will we be able to flop everything at checkin so that my parents will still be able to room together?
The answer to this is yes. Things like this are done all the time (parents book two cabins and switch with their children who are teens; i.e. not old enough to book alone, but old enough to have their own cabin).

Just go to the Purser's Desk and have everything switched however you want !

There's nothing "deceptive" about it.

Have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old September 24th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Admiral

Ronmick - I got a laugh out of your post - you stated it was your folks 40th anniversary and they were over 55 - I certainly hope so - when you do the math
Old September 24th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Passenger

yea the two remarks are redundant but hey- I guess it would be possible for them to have a 40th anniv and be under 55. Unlikely, but possible.
Old September 28th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I want to add that I am glad Ronmick did not get too offended by the reaction, as new posters tend to be a little apprehensive and slightly defensive when they post someplace for the first time. I bring this up with our wonderful board moderators all the time, "try to get new people started out on the right foot, be sensitive to their being new posters".

I guess if all practiced honesty in all cases it would be a bettrer world, but worrying about "defrauding the cruise line?" as a moral issue? I would worry about getting noticed and having to pay the difference at the last minute, (you can always say you didn't realize it might be frowned upon) but if that is the only way you can afford to do the cruise then the moral issue of "defrauding the cruise line" would not be very high on my list of concerns ;-)

Have I ever told you what AT&T did to defraud me into switching to their long distance? - wait, that's a bit off track. But, I honestly do not think the cruise lines would really take notice of people switching beds after the fact, it must happen all the time.

But - why hasn't this been brought up? Aren't senior fares based on individuals, not a "per-cabin" basis? Just because you have one senior doesn't the other person still pay a regular fare if they are under 55?

I am not a travel agent, but that seems logical to me.
Old September 28th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default NOT jumping one anyone

My post re: dishonesty was not intended to "scold", only to state MY opinion that if one cannot afford the appropriate fare for their age, perhaps they need to wait till they can afford that appropriate fare. As I stated, not all of us are rolling in money, and have to save till we can afford our fares.

The use of the bold type is not intended to make any statement. It is just my preference. So please do not assume anything about it.
If I wanted to make a statement, It would have been bold and all capitals. I believe that equates to "shouting".

I was NOT on any "high horse" or taking "the moral high ground".
Simply stating my (apparently not humble enough) opinion.

So sorry so many were offended.
1/06 Island Princess - Hawaii
2/07 Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean
11/07 Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera
3/08 Diamond Princess - Hawaii
11/9/08 Tahitan Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia

Booked cruises:
9/13/09 Star Princess - Alaska
3/14/10 Golden Princess - Hawaii
Old September 28th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Admiral

Just an FYI, my husband is quite a bit younger than I am. I qualify for senior rates and they apply it to him as well. I'm sure that they would not if we had separate cabins, but that is so not going to happen anyway!
Marty
Old September 28th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Passenger

I had come into contact with a TA at my place of employment, who claimed that switching cabins is done quite often and the information that was given to me was correct. Cabins, not individual tickets, are sold with discounts given to age, repeat customers and certain state residencies. She claimed that she has never had a customer come to her and say that they had been upcharged at check-in when a similar situation came around. She also assumed that if an upcharge did occur, she was sure that her customers would call to complain.

So in short- I have learned that there is very little risk in booking your cabin this way. So while it's still available- take advantage man, take advantage!! When the cruise lines change the way they sell their cabins from individual cabins to individual tickets based on double occupancy, then you can only win by booking this way. You are certainly not gonna lose anything this way.

However, I would like to say, I did not book the rooms this way because as stated previously, I wanted their anniversary celebration to go off without a hitch. I did not receive this second TA confirmation until after I had booked the cruise.

And, my sister and her friend are still going, they will just cut back in other areas to make the most of this celebration.
Old September 28th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
But - why hasn't this been brought up? Aren't senior fares based on individuals, not a "per-cabin" basis? Just because you have one senior doesn't the other person still pay a regular fare if they are under 55
?

Paul.. actually the cruise lines specifically allow/offer seniors rates if one person in the cabin is 55 or older.
Old September 28th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Paul.. actually the cruise lines specifically allow/offer seniors rates if one person in the cabin is 55 or older.
Yep: That is correct.

I've been cruising cheap for years. The benefits of being married to a slightly older woman.

Take care,
Mike (Little did she know, all these years ago, that I married her knowing that in a number of years I'd be getting cheap cruises.)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 28th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Why are there Senior Rates at all? Do seniors take up less space? Do they eat less food? Do they go to fewer activities? This doesn't make sense.

I guess I just need to file a "reverse discrimination lawsuit" and get the same benefits.

Or, I could just wait a few year.

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old September 28th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Admiral

ssshhhhh, Marc. Don't mess with the system . Maybe, originally, it was the hook 'em and reel 'em method, since seniors had more expendable cash for cruises.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old September 28th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Hi Paul,
Quote:
Have I ever told you what AT&T did to defraud me into switching to their long distance?
No, please tell us! We don't want to have the same thing happen to us !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old September 29th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Passenger

SO...WHICH CURISE LINES DOES THE "APPLY SENIOR RATE TO ALL" .
I TOO WAS UNDER TO INPRESSION THAT ONLY THE "ACTUAL" SENIORS
WOULD GET THE RATE, NOT ALL GUESTS IN THE ROOM.
Old September 29th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Why are there Senior Rates at all? Do seniors take up less space? Do they eat less food? Do they go to fewer activities? This doesn't make sense.

I guess I just need to file a "reverse discrimination lawsuit" and get the same benefits.

The purpose is to hook repeat customers with plenty of time to cruise frequently.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old September 29th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.
Quote:

The purpose is to hook repeat customers with plenty of time to cruise frequently.
Doug, if they give Senior Discount on every cruise, then how does "hooking" them help? Reminds me of the line about the shopkeeper that had a philosophy of selling at a loss but making up for it with volume. He soon was out of business and went back to his old job.

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old September 30th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

This senior business is news to me, but it is great that they do it. What age do you have to be to qualify for them? 55, right? (that is what I always see in the booking engines. OK, I admit I will be hitting that age soon myself (a few more years anyway).

I hope they never change this policy, but it is SO funny that they haven't, I almost feel like we shouldn't even be talking about it here.

SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH everybody!

as for AT&T - don't get me started. MaryLou told me they did the same to her.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 07:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are both over 55 and our friends were not. We booked with my wife and his wife in one cabin and me and him in another. After we got on the ship, we had the cabins straightened out and they said they do it all the time.