Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Need Inside Cabin Tips

Have always booked a balcony. My cousin has an Interior. Any tips to make cabin better? I have heard they are very dark. Any suggestios are appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'd pack a travel flashlight, I even use one with a balcony cabin, they are still very dark during the nite. Possibly a small nite light may work?

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If the bathroom door has a magnetic or hook lock to keep it open you can leave the light on and use that as a night light, unless you want total darkness. Some folks leave it open a crack but unless you find a way to secure it the thing will bang or jiggle.

Most ships have a channel that shows the front of the ship. It doesn't help much at night but gives you a front view during daylight hours.

The other tip is to get up, get dressed and get out and about.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to ASUWife

The inside cabins ARE quite dark, but that's why we like 'em! You can sleep like crazy in there. But I would definitely take a small flashlight...getting to the bathroom in the middle of the night can be a feat.

Becky

French Polynesia on Renaissance, August 2000
Alaska on RCI, August 2001
Hawaii on Norwegian, July 2003
Caribbean on Holland America, November 2003
Mexico on Norwegian, January 2005
Old October 15th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

With no window in the room, you can easily lose track of time - it always looks like its the middle of the night, even in midday!

I would recommend making full use of the alarm clock in the cabin - this way you won't be late for any scheduled morning activities. You can also have room service bring your morning coffee to the room at a set time. My first night in an inside cabin was hilarious. I woke up at some point in the pre-dawn hours to use the bathroom. Forgetting that I was in a 160 square foot stateroom cabin, I walked into the wall, then, nearly tripped over the glass coffee table by the sofa!

After that we always left the light on in the bathroom and closed the door. The light shined through the crack around the edge of the door. It served as a night light. It did not keep us awake at night.

Jeff
Old October 17th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Beginner

Last cruise I bought a tap light. Plug in a little, biity night light (the kind that just glow orange) into the plug on the vanity. Put the tap light in the bathroom. The little one on the vanity throws off just enough light to guide you to the bathroom- the other- tap on- shows you what you need to see in there.
Old October 17th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

That's a clever idea kaylahszoo. A tap light in the bathroom and some type of indiglo night light near the vanity are a great for those of us who don't like to be blinded by turning on the bathroom light.

I thought i'd be really clever plugging the nightlight into the receptacle above the mirror in the bathroom. On Grandeur OTS it had power all the time. On the Radiance/Voyager/Freedom class, this receptacle is wired through the bathroom light switch, so a nightlight here is useless.

Another idea is to bring a travel alarm clock that uses the indiglo face when you push a button. It glows for several seconds...just enough time to negotiate your way around the sofa table and get to the bathroom.

Good luck, Steve
Old October 17th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Passenger

we took a night light for the bathroom but there was no plug to plug it into (carnival triumph) (apart from the shavers only socket which wouldn't fit). So we had to leave the bathroom light on which means a blast of light when you open the door.
Old November 9th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Passenger

We take our cell phone with us on the cruise to use as an alarm clock. We plugged the charger into the shaver plug in the bathroom and it has a purple glow that we use as a night light. Ahh...the many uses of a cell phone...