Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Passenger

Default cosmetic surgery cruises?

I was wondering if there are any cruise lines (foreign perhaps) that do cosmetic surgery procedures as the main feature of the cruise for less$$ than it would coast to have it done in the US? I had read a couple of years back that Buenos Aires was becoming the cosmetic surgery destination of many U.S. travelors andd I thought maybe the cruise industry had figured out a way to get in on that action.
Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2006, 02:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I've always thought a hookup for liposuction right from the buffet line would work well

But I've never heard of any surgery of any type (other in dire emergency) being conducted on a cruise ship.
Old October 25th, 2006, 02:59 AM
First Mate

This post is a joke, right? Your not really serious are you?
Old October 25th, 2006, 04:02 AM
Passenger

Default I'm totally serious

You see the reason you guys think this is a funny qestion and you don't get it is cause you're not chicks. Women want to lok beautiful, do it cheap, do it on the sly and be pampered and treated like queen---so why not a cruise? They have whole sightseeing/plastic surgery pacakges in Argentina and Buenos Aires, where you can have a face lift one day and 3 days later go out and whale watch. I think the liposuction at the table idea is great in theory (you'd have to run the drainage hoses under the dining room carpet so ghe waiters didn't trip over them... lol) ---but what I'm talking about would go over BIG among the botox/lip injection one-hour face lift crowd. Believe me! I bet you oin two years there will be just such a cruise if there isn't one already.
Old October 25th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Princess,
You may have something there, but as of now, I've never heard of that type of cruise, who knows what the future holds?

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 25th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Admiral

i can where you are coming from, for example people pay big bucks to have a facelift (or whatever) done and then they are wisked off to these fancy spas to recover. I don't forsee having any major surgical procedures done on the ship, but botox, lipo maybe, I could see the ship being the destination for recovery.
" My dear you look so well rested, you must have had a wonderful time on your cruise"
Old October 25th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Passenger

Princess does some minor things now. On our last crusie they were talking about sink abrassions. Little wheels which scrubbed the skin away and gave a renewed look.

I would think the crusie line itself wouldn't do facelifts and etc. I think it would be an outside group like Stiener, who runs the spas, that would do the procedures. All they would do is pay for space on the ship. If the medical field could every come up with a way that problems which cause emergencies didn't happen they would start doing procedures in the next few mlonths. But as long as you have a chance of something going wrong with the procedure it will never happen.

Don
Old October 25th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Admiral

They also have cosmetic surgery holidays to Asia. I don't think they have cruises tho.

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

You might have better luck checking out spa-like retreats instead of cruise ships. Some nice all inclusive resort would be a fabulous place to recover and then emerge as the new butterfly.

Kim
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

oy

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 29th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Passenger

Oh my gosh. What are we going to call this group on the ship?? they already have friends of "Dorothy", friends of "Bob". What is this one....... Friends of "Barbie" or Anna Nicole???
Old September 30th, 2008, 01:37 PM
First Mate

Wouldn't catch me under the knife in a moving vessel!

I can just see it now...under the knife in high seas, or better yet, a rogue wave! The doc would be picking your nose up from the floor and stitching it back on!

Maybe that's what happened to Michael Jackson???

Old September 30th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I think it was tried but after this result it was scrapped.

Seriously: I've heard that you can do Botox treatments on some cruises. I don't think a cruise ship would be the place I would have a cosmetic procedure done.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 1st, 2008, 03:15 PM
Admiral

I would not want a knife or even a needle anywhere near me on a moving ship. Of course, I so don't get the whole cosmetic surgery thing anyway....and I am female, just for the record.
Marty
Old October 15th, 2008, 04:39 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

When we were on the Celebrity's Summit through the Panama Canal in January, '07 - they had a doctor who had an acupuncture clinic - not
sure if they still offer this (Spa area).

Mariner of the Seas - Jan. 2009 Around the Horn B2B - 30 days

Future Floats: Jan. 2011 - Rotterdam - Hawaii/Tahiti - 30 days

The breaths you take are nothing compared to the moments that take your breath away !!
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:23 PM
Beginner

I am a plastic surgeon. My office is in Newport Beach, California but I travel, lecture and do surgery overseas also. I think that would be a wonderful idea. Most cruise ships have an equipped dispensary, small procedure room where relatively small procedures could be done. I am interested in getting a contact person/line for this or just having a seminar about cosmetic surgery onboard. Can someone direct me to a company/representative in this regards. I am president of the American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons and am certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. One has to be careful about discounted overseas plastic surgery/surgeons for cosmetic surgery is still serious. Thanks!
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

You could start with the individual cruise line websites and try the "Contact" area.

Certain simple procedures could easily be done and I bet there would be a market for Botox, laser and other treatments.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Default ONE WORD!!!!

MALPRACTICE!!!!
Old January 31st, 2010, 06:20 AM
Beginner

Cool Yes such a thing exists

Dear Pineapple Princess,

There are these types of cruises, however all the procedures are done on land at a port of call. Typically these cruises are group charters and are not well advertized except by those on the wait lists at cosmetic surgery clinics. (i.e. if you have expressed intrest in traveling to buenos aries for some lipo they will let you know of the recovery charter). Of course the downside to this is you still have to make pre-op consulatatin with the physician and you have to decide if you want a foreign dr operating on you.

The way it typicall works is you embark at one port spend a a couple of days on the ship then arrive at the surgery center port. Folks disembark for their surgeries and reboard typically in a few days (when you have been cleared by the surgeon.) Then you spend 7 to 10 days on the ship. By the way the only instances that I have heard of are the "smaller ships" that only house 200 to 300 passengers. From my understanding at the surgery clinic I was looking into in thailand they schedule these on an bi annual basis according to procedures. (they wait till they have 40 lipos for example)

The price was also pretty expensive. the cost of surgery plus about $500 a day for the cruise (supposedly there are dr. and nurses on the ship for post op treatment). I was looking at lipo and a chin lift which normally over there would run about 6500 usd and to ad the "cruise" made it about 14000 usd

Just google search foreign liposuction and try the japan and thiland surgeons. So far I have not been able to find any in the caribbean area.
Old January 31st, 2010, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Thanks Musicman,
Not sure I would trust a dr., without knowing him to do any kind of surgery on an island?? Didn't know this kind of thing was possible.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 14th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hello,
I don't have enough information about this right now but i will try to find some good information about this. i will asked from my friends and others.

thanks!!

Last edited by Donna; November 2nd, 2010 at 09:44 AM. Reason: removed hyer link