Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Passenger

Default Guaranteed Room or Guaranteed Price?

I know this is old topic for some folks but I just don't understand. Let me see if I get this right.
My sister and I booked a Guarantee Oceanveiw room back in June. With my military discount it was under $400 a ticket. ($387 I think) Since it is not an assigned room I was told there would be a chance of upgrade. Ok! Fine.
About a month ago I noticed the price was consideraby lower. I asked my travel agent about this. She told me a credit could be issued but I would lose my "seat in line" for an upgrade. Alright then I"ll leave things as they are.
Well now I see the price has dropped lower and even if I picked the room of my choice on the deck of my choice (I have been told the Empress deck is the best upgrade) with a assigned room I would still be over $400 cheaper for both tickets.
What do I do?
Nothing?
Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to grammiedo

not sure what cruise line you are going on. But most of the time an up grade is only with in the same type catagory you booked in inside to inside, just maybe a higher deck, rarely is it to a higher class say inside to balcony. so if the rate is cheaper and you can pick where you want to be i would definalty go for it. Because usually if you have made final payment all they will do is give you an on baord credit and usually it is not equal to the savings. But only you can make a decision on what is good for you. hope this helps. have a good trip.
Old November 11th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Passenger

It does help. We are booked on the Carnival Fantasy. I didn't book with a PVP with Carnival, I used a TA. I'll call her. Thank you!
Old November 11th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Administrator
Admiral

A guarantee is a guarantee of a cabin of that category or better. There is no guarantee of an upgrade. This is true no matter if it is a Carnival PVP or any other Travel Agent who tells you that you can get an upgrade.

If you can save $400 on the booking and are outside of the cancellation period then do it and rebook it.

The best thing is to always book a guarantee cabin in the lowest category cabin that you would be happy with. If you do get an upgrade then it is just icing on the cake.

Most of the time an upgrade is still within the same type of cabin. Inside to Inside; Ocenview to Ocenview; Balcony to Balcony. Upgrades from Inside to Balcony or Ocenview to Balcony do happen and those are the ones you hear about, people talk when really good things happen to them, but they are not the normal upgrades.

Take care and have a wonderful cruise.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 18th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Passenger

Mike,
We did get a ship credit and we were able to pick a room. So not only did we get the room we were hoping to get upgraded to, we got a $288.00 credit. Sweet!
Nov 27th can't wait!
Old November 19th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Admiral

That is great! Enjoy your cruise.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013