Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 7th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Passenger

Default How much money and should I wear a fanny pack

Here is a twofer. When in port I want to carry cash,because I know in some places they don't accept credit cards or even larger bills,my daughter says my fanny pack is just plain ugly and too big. She says it just says tourist all over it(thats what I will be). She says why not carry a backpack (bad back)but I think she wants me to carry her stuff.What is the best way to carry money on my person when of the ship. Also How much money do you all usually carry. I will use my credit card for shipboard expenses. Getting off the ship in Costa Maya,Belize,Cozumel and maybe Guatamala. Thanks guys,you have been great. I thought maybe $100 in 5 dollar bills. $75 in 1 dollar bills and acouple hundred more in 10's and 20's . This is a seven day cruise and I don't want to run out of money. Also should I get travelers checks
Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Admiral

cassbeth - you DO NOT want to carry a large amount of cash on you when you are on the islands. Its just asking for trouble. You will find that most retailers will take a credit card. Bring enough cash to cover cab fare, a small meal and small souveniors that's it. Any large ticket item should be payed for with a credit card.
As for the fanny packs -they are practical and safe, not a high fashion item, a back pack is more likely to get stolen than a fanny pack. If you take your backpack off and set it down somewhere.........
A good option to the fanny pack is a small purse with a long strap that you wear across your chest, the purse should come to about your waist.
You do not want to carry anything big no matter what you choose,all i bring is my cruise card, id, credit card, few bills, lip suncreen, small bottle of Advil and a travel hairbrush.
Old December 7th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Passenger

Default small purse

small purse sounds good. I already have small purses that will fit the bill. Since my hair is extremely short,I will be able to eliminate the hairbrush. Cab fares differ everywhere and since I'm the Mama, I will probably be responsible for the cash. You think less than 100 cash in ports is okay. I certainly wouldn't want to make myself into a target. Thanks
Old December 7th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Admiral

cassbeth - i hardly ever bring more than $50.00 ashore
Old December 7th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Admiral

I totally agree. I never have more than $100 on me in a port. I have extra cash in the safe in my cabin, for the next port, but never a lot in any place. I also use a thin fabric "wallet" on a string that I wear under my clothes. All my important stuff such as ID, boarding pass, credit card, traveler's checks and small supply of prescriptions that I have to take with me go into that. Then, I also wear a fanny pack, with cash and whatever else around my waist. If someone gets that, not much harm done...sort of a decoy. Do not worry about how you look in ports. It is far more important to be safe.
Marty
Old December 7th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Passenger

Default where do you get one of those thin fabric wallets

I am really afraid to carry to much cash,50 to 100 bucks sounds good to me. And if we run out,well its time to go back to the ship. I will just make sure we have cab fare back. Thanks to everyone.
Old December 7th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Nothing wrong with a fanny pack, just may-be get a smaller one for just some cash, your sign/sail card and small things you may need when off the ship. Keep it in front of you and zipped up at all times and you should be OK. Just take enough cash for the day, most places will accept major credit cards and travelers checks too. You can even cash the travelers checks on the ship, not a problem.

I usually bring along about 20 singles for tips and small purchases during the week, while on the ship, everything goes on your sign/sail card and will be charged to the credit card you used when you first boarded.

Have a fun/safe cruise!

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Admiral

You might also want to consider a money belt that can be worn under your clothes. I always use one when traveling in the airports ... and sometimes in the islands - the rest of the time, it's a fanny pack. Be sure that small purse has a strap that you can wrap cross ways across your body, but I think the fanny pack would be better.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old December 8th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Passenger

Default fanny pack it is

I think I will do the fanny pack. I was also thinking all of my capris that I will wear in port have pockets. Don't plan on going in the beach,just lounging on the beach. Maybe a massage in Costa Maya and plenty of eating. Will try to purchase a money belt today
Old December 8th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Admiral

Not a good idea to rely on the pockets in your clothes - pick-pockets. Know AAA has money belts ... think Target does, too.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old December 8th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Passenger

Default gotta go to AAA for travelers checks

I'll check AAA next week,because I have to go there for travelers checks. Also have to go to Target for wrinkle release. Thanks