Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Beginner

Default Cruiseline for Honeymoon in Caribbean?

My husband and I are planning our honeymoon in May 2007. We'd like to take a 6-8 day cruise in the Caribbean and are trying to figure out which cruiseline we should book with. We'd like to spend some time "honeymooning" together, but we're also looking forward to being adventurous on shore trips.

Any tips or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

jUst about any cruiseship would be great for a honeymoon. It all depends on what ports you want to visit, are you both very active both onboard and off. I personally love Royal Caribbean for all the shipboard activities and they have itinaries that I love.

If you can narrow down the places you want to visit, then start looking for ships that stop there and go from there. Both Princess and Celebrity are also very nice cruises, just not as many things to do onboard compared to some of the larger RCL ships.

Let us know some of the things you like to do and I'm sure more posters will have some great ideas.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:25 PM
Beginner

My husband and I love to do pretty much anything. We've looked into Royal Caribbean and Princess, as well as Carnival. I guess we're just looking for an experience that we can go do a ton of active things (like snorkeling) or just find a place to be alone if we feel like it.

We've heard mixed reviews about Carnival--that it's hard to find "alone time" amongst all the children. Still, we're going in mid-May, when many schools are still in session and we'd like a 7-8 day cruise.

Does that help?
Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Royal Caribbean and Carnival tend to attract the most familes of the main-stream cruise lines.
Princess, NCL or Celebrity would be great choices. You can be as active as you want to be on any cruise, its your choice.
Old March 18th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Beginner

We chose the Princess' Caribbean Princess and we leave May 13th! We're very excited.

We plan to lounge and snorkel in Princess Cays, do an outside tour with Peat Taylor at Ocho Rios, snorkel at Stingray City and shop in Grand Cayman and are up in the air about what we'll do in Cozumel.

Any suggestions or other tips?

Thanks!
Old March 18th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
and shop in Grand Cayman and are up in the air about what we'll do in Cozumel
Grand Cayman is not your "normal" Caribbean shopping stop. It is very expensive there... unless all you want is rum cakes

Sting Ray City is one of the best tours in the Western Caribbean... so I'd be sure to do that.

Cozumel's an easy island to find your way around. I suggest renting an open air jeep, touring the island, stopping at various beaches, and a stop to enjoy the town of San Miguel.
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Beginner

Thanks for your thoughts, Kuki.

My husband is the most willing to spend time at Grand Cayman shopping (as opposed to our other stops where we're hoping to do more active things). It's good to know ahead of time that it will be expensive there--and we're definitley hoping to get some rum cakes! We hope to get a little shopping in at our other stops, too, though. We may try to stop at 7 mile beach or go to hell while in GC, but we sort of want to wait and see what we're feeling like rather than booking a tour or excursion. From what we've read on this site, it seems like we'd be able to get a cab to those spots relatively easily.

Have you seen the Tulum ruins in Cozumel? My parents really enjoyed them while they were in Mexico, but it just seems like we'd be putting all our eggs into one basket by taking a 9-5 excursion...

Thanks again!
Old March 19th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Admiral

One reason GC is expensive is that it has a negative exchange rate. American dollar is worth less than Cayman dollar. Something like 80 cents if I remember right. I would still consider it pricey even without that. Just so you know what to expect.
I did once find a great pair of leather sandals there....through necessity. I went on a last minute cruise and only had time to pack the minimum. Strap on the sandals I wore broke, so I had to shop in the first port, which was Grand Cayman.
Marty
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Admiral

The Tulum ruins are on the mainland, not on the island of Cozumel. A tour there (unless transportation is by small plane) will consist of a rather longish ferry and bus ride, both there and back. Check to see how much time will be spent at the ruin site itself, and make sure you are ok with that.

There is plenty of shopping in Cozumel, from higher end jewelry to crafts and t-shirts. Kuki's suggestion to rent a jeep in Coz is an excellent one. You can then drive around the island, stop in at a beach bar on the windward side of the island, and make a couple of snorkel stops, and shop as well. I would however, have a rental lined up as Coz is always busy with ships.

The snorkeling is excellent in both Cozumel and Grand Cayman. And as others have said, Stingray City is not to be missed. Again, I would arrange a private tour operator ahead of time.

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Also keep in mind that your car insurance usually doesn't cover anything out of the country. So, you will need to get Mexican insurance.
Marty
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Passenger

Just about any cruise line would probably meet your needs. I really like carnival cruises because they have such a large selection of ships with different things going on. I would definately take a look at that line.