Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:53 PM
Yeoman

Default New York - buildings and traffic OH MY!

Allow me to first say that I've spent many years in and near Los Angeles so I'm not afraid of a big city.

With that said . . ARGH! Holly cow! Where do we stay in New York? What are the areas that we should NOT hang around in? Where are the cool shopping/tourist areas? Where is the port? Should we fly into a different airport instead of NY, NY?? Are taxis semi-cheap? Are there any tour bus type companies that will show us around? How do we go see the chick with the torch?

I don't want to miss any of the good things but I would like to miss the bad things.

We're getting ready to book the Arpil 23rd on NCL Dawn.
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2007, 03:14 PM
Admiral

If you want someplace thats not fancy but the price is right, in a prime location. I would recommend Radio City Apartments. Often you can find a 2 bedroom apartment there for under $200 night. As I said it isnt fancy, but the bathroom is ensuite, you have up to two separate bedrooms and a living room/kitchen. Its right next to Times Square/Rockefeller Plaza. There's a grocery store a few blocks away if you want to prepare your own meals. There's a pizza place downstairs and an internet cafe nearby. They advertise on site laundry facilities, but don't count on using them because their always in use. Hope that helps. oh and its a short cab ride to the port.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 04:10 PM
Yeoman

2 rooms huh? That's excellent since we're travelling with another couple.

Is it safe to walk around that area? Are there any tourist type spots in walking distance?

Thanks for your help!
Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Yes its safe. You will be able to walk a block or so down to Rockefeller Center in the morning and stand outside the Today show and wave to all your friends back home and meet the celebs. Walk the other direction and see Times Square. You can hit all the pishy poshy shops on 5th Ave. Trump Tower and of course St. Patricks Cathedral. You are also right near Broadway and I stringly recommend catching a show. We will never forget our first Broadway Show. One night I walked alone down to the grocery and internet cafe and felt completely safe.

I had to send d/h to NYC on business between Thanksgiving and Christmas. He was teaching in the Empire State Building and you should have heard some of the horror stories the students had to tell about their NYC hotel rooms. That is a peak time so of course prices were up and selction was down. Many of the students found themselves paying well over $200 night for a twin bed and they had to stand on the bed to open a door or a drawer and shared a bath. So in my opinion Radio City Apts. is a steal, but do not expect the Ritz, it is clean, functional and affordable, not to mention spacious by NYC standards. I have stayed at the Marriott Marquis and they are very close in location, the Marriott is twice as much and we would not have had two bedrooms and kitchen, so given a choice between the two I would choose Radio City even if the Marquis was less expensive, because it suited our needs better. We stayed there pre and post cruise.
If you want to go to the Statue of Liberty (chic with the torch lol) you will need to go to Battery Park then catch the ferry out to tour her. We took the subway there and it wasn't hard to get there at all. It was cool too because they were filming a movie at the park. In all truthfulness though you'll have the best view of the Statue of Liberty when your ship leaves Manhattan. It is breathtaking. You will go right past her.
Old January 24th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Admiral

I work in New York and my advice is do some advance homework and you will have a great time. While no city is completely safe NY is among the safest particularly on Manhattan from Central Park and south, which has most of the tourist attractions. The official tourism site is http://www.nycvisit.com/home/index.cfm. You can go on the website of NYC Transit http://www.mta.info/nyct/index.html and get all of the information and maps you need to navigate the city by Subway and Bus. They also have open top deck tour busses that will give you a good overview of the city and you can jump on and off at any stop all day. You can catch a boat ride around Manhattan from the South Street Seaport (a worthy destination in and of itself). A little advance planning and study and you will navigate the city like a pro.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old January 24th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Doug: Great information. I hope you don't mind that I made the sites "clickable".

New York is a great city and one that you WANT to spend a few days in, pre or post cruise. It offers something for EVERYONE.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Yeoman

All this information is so helpful! I took your advice and have done a little research. After printing the subway maps, I printed the bus system maps. Looks like it'll be easy to get around.

Has anybody used the Grayline tours (on/off all day)? Not sure if that's a good deal compared to the city bus and subway.

I'm not a fan of the ritzy stores. Are there any open type flea market areas? I LOVE the homemade type craft places.
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Doug: Great information. I hope you don't mind that I made the sites "clickable".

New York is a great city and one that you WANT to spend a few days in, pre or post cruise. It offers something for EVERYONE.

Take care,
Mike
Not at all Mike, forgot to use the tags when I pasted them.

Old January 24th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCruiser383
All this information is so helpful! I took your advice and have done a little research. After printing the subway maps, I printed the bus system maps. Looks like it'll be easy to get around.

Has anybody used the Grayline tours (on/off all day)? Not sure if that's a good deal compared to the city bus and subway.

I'm not a fan of the ritzy stores. Are there any open type flea market areas? I LOVE the homemade type craft places.
1. The advantage of the on/off tours is that you can sit in an open top bus and there is commentary by guides. In the Subways you see nothing and in city busses you see things but aren't told what they are.

2. Chinatown and Little Italy in lower Manhattan are good places to browse and are as close to an open flea market as it gets. They also have excellent food. The closest subway stop on any line is Canal Street. If you come down on the 4,5 or 6 line the nearest stop is City Hall/Brooklyn Bridge.

Old January 25th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Beginner

Default re: double decker tours

I have used the double decker tours twice as a tourist. You can catch them at Battery park and hop on and off any of their stops. What is nice is that they will do a running commentary. You will see and learn things that people who live there will not know. They will point out significance of certain buildings, point out building used in movies etc. DEFINATELY worth doing!