Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Snorkeling/swimming along Mex. riviera in Feb

I'm trying to plan some activities and excursions ashore for my trip to the Mexican riviera (aboard the Mercury) from Feb 9th to 18th. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who knows these ports, (Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Manzanillo, and Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo) all of which I'm visiting for the first time.

I'm under the impression that the Pacific waters aren't nearly as tub-like as the Caribbean, particularly at this time of year-- or has the El Nino condition changed that this winter? I've also read that daytime air temperatures aren't so high as to make you really want to jump in for a swim-- only mid-70's and fairly dry, unlike the steamy mid-80's of the Caribbean. But supposing I did find the water mild enough to take an excursion that involved a bit of snorkeling-- what's the best port to try this, keping in mind that I've hardly had a mask & fins on since summer camp 30-plus years ago?

And in a related note, when you head inland from the coast at this time of year, does the air get warmer or cooler?

Please advise-- "jeph"
Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Familiar Face

Default Snorkeling

We did that cruise in February of 2005. The weather was very cool and windy leaving and returning to LA, until we were in Mexico. It was smoking hot in PV and Mazatlan. We got off the ship in PV and took an 8 hour day-trip that we arranged right on the dock. There were a few places offering the same trip. The price was way less than the ship's and the funny thing was we didn't have a lot of cash because we left it on the ship (thinking that we could use our credit card) so he thought we were trying to get the price down and he kept lowering it! The trip included a stop to snorkel at Los Arcos, lunch and snorkeling at a beach, and then horseback riding at a 3rd stop. The horseback riding was an extra $12 once we were on the catamaran and since we didn't have any more cash, the guide paid for us and then afterwards came back to the ship's gate and waited while we got the cash from our safe! Very trusting. It was an excellent day with fruit for breakfast, lunch, all you could drink, and dancing on the return trip. The water was warm and we were all burnt despite our sunscreen. I think it cost the 5 of us about $220 for the day and a similar trip through the ship was about $85 each. In Mazatlan we took a taxi to one of the nice beaches/hotels and spent the day there. We we had a torrential downpour in Cabo, so that's was an adventure in itself. We started out on one of the little boats that take you out around land's end but had to turn back because it was so rough our youngest son was terrified we were going to capsize. The worst part was waiting 45 minutes in the wind and rain for the tender because everyone was trying to get out of the rain. Some drunks entertained us, playing slip and slide on the dock there was so much water!
CCL Pride 2/05
RCI Radiance 8/05
Dawn Princess 5/06
CCL Liberty 9/06
Norwegian Sun 9/06
MSC Opera 2/07
CCL Liberty 4/07
Caribbean Princess 10/07
Celebrity Galaxy 3/08
Explorer of the Seas 5/08
Mariner of the Seas 3/09
CCL Splendor 5/09