Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Passenger

Default Booking a cruise on Expedia

Hello to Everyone!

My wife and I are thinking about taking our first cruise this May. My question is this. Has anyone ever purchased their cruise through Expedia? I did some comparing between Expedia and Carnival and Expedia was between $400-$500 cheaper. I was wondering how Expedia can sell the cruises at a cheaper price then the cruiseline?

Thanks for your time,

Tim
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Any travel agent can sell the cruises for less than Carnival... if they chose to.

Frankly I've never found Expedia to be the best deal out there. I'd call or e-mail a few more cruise agencies and get a quote too!

Then, if Expedia's still lowest, by all means, book it.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I agree with Kuki. Expedia rarely gives you the best deal. Other agencies can often beat them. Do check around and see if there are better deals out there.

I will add that on one cruise I took in 2003 a "mega" online agency had the best deal but, since then, they have not been able to beat other agencies.

One other thing to keep in mind is that any agency can sell you a cruise but they EARN their money if and when something goes wrong. This doesn't happen very often but when it does you want someone on your side who WORKS, for you, to make things right.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 25th, 2007, 02:03 PM
First Mate

I used Expedia for our first cruise but have learned alot about shopping around since then. Also, if you're past or present military (or anyone in your group is) be sure to ask about military discounts.
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
10/29/06 11 nite NCL Spirit
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
May 14-25th, Carnival Fascination...3 B2B's
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
1/18/08 Carnival Miracle (Platinum on this one!)
2/25/08 Fascination
4/21 & 4/26/08 B2B on the Imagination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old January 26th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Admiral

Another comment about sites like Expedia, etc: I have found that it is much more difficult to make changes to your reservation through these sites. I've not had experience with a trying to change a cruise...but trying to change airfare is unbelievable. Trying to change airfare was going to cost close to $$1000 with the discount site...but a call to the airline brought that down to about $150. I have also had the experience of arriving at a hotel in Montana that was booked on a discount site and being told that I was at the wrong hotel. After checking into it further....the site booked the wrong hotel, but gave me the information for the hotel I arrived at. Trying to get that straightened out was quite frustrating.
Another thing to really watch when you see cruise prices at a much lower rate is to be sure you are compaing apples to apples. Make sure all port fees and taxes are included in the price you are seeing.
So, buyer beware!
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013