Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Safety on Islands

Hello - I was reading somewhere that some of the Caribbean islands are not safe, some have drug dealers all over the place and you can get "ripped off".

We are going to the following islands and was wondering what we need to look out for? We will be traveling with our 11yr girl & a 14 yr old girl. We are more concerned about their safety.

Barbados
St. Lucia
Antigua
St. Maarten
St. Thomas

Thanks for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Kelley:

Just like going to any tourist location in the U.S. or anywhere in the world you have to use common sense. With younger children I would suggest staying in the main areas of the ports and to main beaches and keep you children with you. Ship's excursions may be a good idea if you are not familiar with traveling outside the U.S.

You may have to haggle on some prices if you wish and you may find that the "authentic" handmade souvenir, you purchased from a street vendor, was made in China but if you paid $5 for it then "what the heck.".

The islands you mention have relatively low crime rates and are visited by thousands of cruise passengers each day, without incident.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 28th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Also, dress appropriately. Some 14 yr olds these days wear clothes that are the norm here, but may be interpreted differently in other lands. Met a young lady on a cruise who was mad because men kept trying to hit on her in the islands. One even offered to buy her from her dad! But, she dressed rather skimpily and wore accessories that were rock + roll style. I even got "corrected" by a cop once because I was sitting in a less than ladylike position in a country where that was how hookers sat.

You also might want to get a money belt or something similar. Most of the time, any bad elements will want your money and nothing else.

But, as Mike said, most islands are safe and most islanders are good people, just as anywhere else. Pack your common sense and relax and have fun!
Marty
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Admiral

totally agree with the others! use your head, common sense. Stick with a tour, stay within the main tourist areas, dont' go wandering off and you will be just fine.
Old January 29th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thank You. We do have excursions planned on the islands. Except for Antigua. We are probably going to just go to the beach. On St. Thomas we are going to spend the day at Coral World. The excursion through the cruise line is only 3 hours - of that only 90 minutes at Coral World. So we are doing that on our own.

We do know that we are responsible for getting there and back on our own and that we HAVE to be back at the dock in plenty of time before the ship leaves.
Old January 29th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Mike hit the nail on the head, just use your common sense. I imagine you all will be staying together, which is a good thing! And if your gals are by themselves, whether on the ship or on shore, just be sure they watch their drinks. No need to panic, but this is the most simple way to get control of someone is to slip something in their drink.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful and safe time! Just don't go off the beaten path and you'll have terrific memories of your cruise!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas