Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:39 AM
Beginner

Default Do I have a legitimate gripe against singlescruise.com?

So I'm sure you know singlescruise (SC) is a tour operator for single people. Well this year I booked the April 20-30's cruise and was a happy camper until just last week when found out that SC has also book an all ages group on the same cruise and we will be mingling at the different planned events. I feel like it's the classic "bait and switch". I I had wanted to go on an all ages tour I would have signed up for that but I didinn't, I signed up for the 20-30's group.

Do I have a right to be upset and where do I go from here?

Thanks.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:58 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Do you have a right to be upset? Yes

However it looks like you are just inside of your cancellation period so you would have to pay your penalty if you canceled your cruise.

I would let them know your displeasure with this and if you are really disappointed I would see if they will work with you to either get out of the cruise or find some sort of compensation that is agreeable.

There will probably be many others in your age group who booked the same package and your group will break off into a sub-group during the events and gatherings. This will give you time to interact with each other. It isn't exactly what you are looking for but it works. Then again there is something to be said for those slightly older than you. My wife is somewhat older than I am and after 23 years it's still going great.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 1st, 2007, 12:04 PM
Admiral

that's a real gray area, because "technically" you are booked into your specific group cruise, you are getting what they offered. I am guessing that they couldn't fill all the cabins they bought for your specific age group so they opened it up to others.
Old February 1st, 2007, 01:17 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the replies admirals. Quite a number of us are repeat singlescruisers from the 20-30's cruise last year and we are all upset at singlescruise over this but we all made a pact to grin and bear it (no complaining on the cruise or in front of the older folks). I'm sure we are going to have a fun time, how can you not on a cruise?

Anywho we also don't plan on doing singlescruises again due to this (unless they change the practice of mixing an exclusive group with an everybody group) and we will just book our own group spring break cruise next year.

We just want singlescruise to know we aren't happy and while we have called and written to them the replies we are getting are unsatisfactory and we just don't know where to go next in the Carlson Company chain of command. If you know, I would love to hear it.

Incidently, they are doing this same mixing of groups with a "Jewish only" tour in March and while it may make business sense it doesn't make sense on the people front and people make the business.

PS Mike, I have partied with my fair share of cougars, always a good time, congrats on your marriage.

Mark
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:09 PM
Admiral

I don't see why it would take away from your cruising experience at all. Chances are that unless you charter the entire ship you'll cruising with people who aren't in your group. I don't see why it would matter if its the old girls from the Red Hat Society or an older group of singles. I cannot think of any way it would impact your cruise. I would guess that by booking both groups together perhaps they were able to get a lower rate or more ammenities. Personally I wouldn't burn any calories over it. Also sometimes we develop long term relationship with people who are not in the same age group as us, for example, I am 6 years older than d/h, my Dad is 13 years older than my Mom. They've been married almost 44 years, and d/h and I have two kids and are quickly approaching 10 years of married bliss. You won't need to see anyone's AARP card to know if you're attracted to them anyway. The cruise will be great, you'll have a blast. Then you'll come back and wonder why you were even concerned about the other group.
Old February 1st, 2007, 09:35 PM
Admiral

If you really want to make an impression of how unhappy you are, ask for the name and address of the CEO of the company. With my life's experience, complaining to the person who is employed to answer the phone is going to get you NO WHERE.

I think you should get what you paid for and what you expected. Good luck and make your point!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old February 1st, 2007, 10:06 PM
Passenger

Having cruised with SC before, I have many complaints against their company, this just being one of many. SC is starting to get a bad rap among a lot of us that cruise often and it's going to hurt their bottom line.

I happened to look at their cruise list when they first posted this cruise and noticed that they also had a 40+ cruise on the same ship, same week. When I called to asked about it, they pretended not to know at first what I was talking about. They literally lied to me about the cruise and to many others.

As for me, I will NEVER, EVER cruise with SC again.

For those who want to complain to SC, it really will not do any good. They are owned by Carlson Wagonlit, one of the big corporate conglomerates and they really could care less. Any people that rock the boat will just get banned from their reunion cruise boards and banned from future cruises with them.
Old February 1st, 2007, 10:35 PM
Admiral

I agree with beenie weenie. I don't think the booking of "older " people (OMG, 40!) will make a big difference. You can still hang out with the "20's-30's" group. There should be some people in your age range who aren't with the group that you can hang out with, too.

Lot's of TA's book different ages in groups to keep the price lower for everyone.

If it were me, I'd just go and enjoy everyone!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 1st, 2007, 10:54 PM
Beginner

Beenie Weenie, I'm not sure you know how these tour groups work... of course there will be all types of people on board, I would be insane if that were a problem. What SC does is have numerous activities for your group planned, exclusive shore trips, cocktail parties, trivia games, speed dating, a specific area of the dining room so you all can sit together, yadda yadda yadda and of course it is only open to the SC people.

Now when I book a 20-30's cruise with them, call me an idiot, but I just expect everyone to be 20-30 years old in our group. I've also toured with SC a few times before but this is the first time they have pulled this on me.

Of course I'm going to have a good time but why can't I be upset when I realize I am not getting what I paid for? The bottom line is that if I and my friends had wanted to be in an all ages group we would have booked an all ages tour.

---
Mark
Old February 2nd, 2007, 08:51 AM
Beginner

I don't think some understand the issue, Mark. I am another cruiser with SC 20's/30's have done the same in the past before they ever combined the groups. I have done the general cruises and always had a good time with people of all ages but the year I tried the 20's/30's was the best cruising experience I ever had and I never looked back.

There are plenty of general singles cruises available to try so if I wanted to do that again I would have chosen a different cruise.

This is about what I paid for ad its the same feeling for alot of the cruisers. There are no extra savings - in fact the price is alot higher this year by about $150 - and this cruise takes place during low season. I don't believe for a minute that the cabins have been undersold, in fact it sounds like a bigger 20's/30's group than ever before (and that would be due to the excellent feedback we would have given on the past 20/30 cruise - word got around rather quick!). The same itenarary is even offered barely 3 weeks before for anyone who prefers to travel with people of all ages.

So, the reality for myself and a number of other people who are cruising with SC on this particular trip is that it's about getting what I paid for, what I expected. It has nothing to do with whether an older crowd is just as much fun or if I should give an older person a chance b/c I might find 'the one' (incidentaly beenie weenie - the age differences between your parents and between yourself and your wife are within the age ranges of the group I chose to travel with - you are talking about an average 10 yr difference and that is the average age spread of the 20's 30's group - most are between 26 - 36 yrs old or so).

We are not looking to cause trouble and we will still have fun. Just highly disappointed that SC seems to be looking for a money grab in this case by taking advantage of a type of cruise that has gotten popular.

Many of us won't be back with them next year.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:31 AM
Admiral

I understand that you're disappointed. Just sometimes things work out the way they're supposed to (or not) and not exactly the way we planned it. Since there is little you can do about it at this point anyway, may as well just embrace the fact the dating pool has increased in number even its not exactly your "target market" lol! )You know the "glass half full , rather than half empty concept)

Anyone who knows me very well around here knows that I am not one to go off quietly when I am an unhappy consumer, and I am not suggesting that you don't make yourself and your frustrations known. But in this situation maybe open your mind to the possibility that something positive may come out of this. It will make your cruise a much more enjoyable experience. Perhaps a complaint with the Better Business Bureau from some of the members who feel strongly about this may persuade them to plan separate activities for these differing age groups.

In fairness I have to say I would feel like a degenerate speed dating with a 20 year old at the ripe age of 43. Poor kid would probably sit there going "OMG, I'm speed dating my Mom!" That would not be a good time for me lol. Try to not dwell on the negative and go into this with an open mind and a determination to make the most of it.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:17 AM
Beginner

Beenie Weenie

To be honest I would not say there wasn't anyone under the age of 25 in last years 20-30's group, it's kind of an expensive cruise if you are just out of college, so the age tends to average in at 30, mostly young professionals cutting loose. Every one had a good time and I think there was one marriage out of it but, for the most part, no one was looking for a Mr. or Mrs Right (there were a few Mr. and Mrs. Right Nows though).

I can garuntee that we will have a good time, we are all hell bent on it and we won't let this spoil us but unless SC steps up to the plate they will loose quite a few repeat customers. The friends I made through these cruises are not malcontents, just alot of us can't figure out how SC can advertise for one thing then do something different and maybe the BBB is the next logical step. I guess it just boils down to spending over $1200 (not including airfare and per-cruise hotel) and wanting what was promised, bottom line.

Let me just restate that I have no problem with people older than myself, 40 is in the mail for me and if is as good as the 30's have been then I'm looking forward to it.

---
Mark
Old February 2nd, 2007, 02:45 PM
Admiral

Hey Mark,
What about writing up a complaint, then having the folks in the group you are in all sign it? Might get your point across better or at least let you feel that you did something about it. Just my input.
Marty