Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 3rd, 2007, 04:44 PM
Familiar Face

Default booking last minute??

I've visited several "last minute" cruise sites (although by last minute, they seem to mean 90 days or less).

Is it worth it to try to book through a last minute site? I'm thinking that airfare will be higher if we wait that long, plus I don't want to be stuck with the very worst cabins (assuming the good ones have all been sold by then).

We want to go on a cruise this summer, and though we do need to careful about how much we spend, I don't want to end up with a bad cruise experience because I was trying to wait for the best deal.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2007, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

A few things to consider. Ships are generally now sailing at 110% occupancy, and summer prices are usually quite high - because some people can only cruise while school is out of session.

Therefore.. waiting might result in a good deal closer to sailing, but cabin availability is quite likely to be limited. Great if you don't care where your cabin is, but selection will no doubt be limited.

Prices drop pretty dramatically if you can cruise early in Sept.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:46 PM
Familiar Face

Kuki, what does it mean to sail at 110% occupancy?
Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
what does it mean to sail at 110% occupancy?
100 % occupancy is all berths filled at double occupancy. That does not consider those cabins where there are 3 or 4 in a cabin. So that's how they get above 100% occupancy.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

After doing much research on various websites and those that are the "last minute" deal websites, today I booked the Inspiration leaving in 9 days through my Carnival PVP because he had the same rates as every other website I visited (I probably visted 15-20 in all). There were no so called last minute rates...all were within $15 of each other.

Jodi
Old February 7th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Familiar Face

Jodi,
I understand what you're saying about sites specifically claiming to have "last minute rates" being the same as other sites.
But did you find that it was really worth the savings by booking only 9 days in advance? Did you have to spend more on airfare because of the short notice? Did you get a cabin you're really pleased with, or did you just get stuck with whatever happened to be left?
I'm just trying to figure out if the savings is enough to really be worth it to book last minute compared to having a few months in advance to leisurely prepare.
Have a great cruise, and tell us about it when you return!!
kathyann
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:58 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyann
Jodi,
I understand what you're saying about sites specifically claiming to have "last minute rates" being the same as other sites.
But did you find that it was really worth the savings by booking only 9 days in advance? Did you have to spend more on airfare because of the short notice? Did you get a cabin you're really pleased with, or did you just get stuck with whatever happened to be left?
I'm just trying to figure out if the savings is enough to really be worth it to book last minute compared to having a few months in advance to leisurely prepare.
Have a great cruise, and tell us about it when you return!!
kathyann
I'm guessing that any savings you do get on the cruise you'd turn around and spend on last minute airfair. Personally, if I book a flight to NYC a month in advance my cost is $39. If I book the same flight a week in advance its $150-$254. Unless I'm getting a last minute discount of more than $200, it wouldn't be worth it. Plus theres planning to take off from work with only a week's notice.

I think the only way a 'last minute' cruise is worth it is if the savings are more than the additional airfare, or if you live within driving distance of the port.