Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Passenger

Default royal caribbean or princess?

I'm looking to book a cruise this summer and am stuck between going on the RCCL Mariner of the Seas 7 Day Eastern Caribbean out of Port Canaveral or the Crown Princess 9 Day Eastern Caribbean out of NY. I've been on Royal Caribbean many times and Carnival, and sailed the western caribbean on the mariner last year. My boyfriend has only been on RCCL and wants to try something different and likes the convience of a close point of departure (we live in NJ) but I'm leery of some of the reviews I've heard of Princess (I've heard the food isn't so good). Who has been on both? How do they compare? Which has better food? More chairs by the pool? Better service? We are also in our mid-20s and are looking for which might be more age-appropriate, as well. Can someone help us? Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Many of your questions can only be answered by the opinions of others, quality of food, service, etc. I always enjoy trying new things, including new cruise lines. You may be happier sticking to something that you already know you like. Consider also the itineraries of the two cruises-maybe that will help you decide.

If I was considering the two cruises, and one had 7 days and one 9 days, that would be a factor. More days, but most likely more money too. But sounds like you would be saving air fare if you sailed from New York, so that's a wash. It most likely will be a little cooler sailing from New York than from Florida, if that's a factor.

I sailed on the Crown P a few weeks ago and thought the food and the service was fine. We found a waiter in one of the anytime dining rooms that we liked, and made reservations at his table every night. There are four pools, 2 of them adult only, and it seemed that there were plenty of deck chairs. I have also cruised on the Voyager of the Seas, sister to the Navigator. I enjoyed that cruise as well.

For me, price and itinerary would be the decision makers.

Hope this helps!

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old February 20th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'm just thinking for your age group, you may enjoy the Royal Caribbean a bit more, Princess is more layed back, not as much happening in the evening and a slightly older crowd. I thought the food on Princess was good as well as Royal Caribbean. I much perfer the entertainment on Royal Caribbean, that can't be beat, plus all the extra activities you'll find on Mariner.

Like Mermaid mentioned, a lot will depend on the itinary, plus the extra days, its a tough decision...

Let us know what you finally decide on, OK?

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 20th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Passenger

Default Still Undecided......

Thanks for your help! I am not sure which one I will choose at this point. RCCL is my total comfort zone. I have sailed on three ships in the voyager class before so I know the routine! I have never sailed on Princess before......do I want to put a new cruise line to the test? I know if I do, I will be comparing the whole time. I love RCCL and I am not sure if Priness will be able to live up to my expectations. My fear is that Princess will carry a much older crowd especially on a 9 day cruise. Also, we plan on going during hurricane season and the waters up by NY are always rougher then Florida. Are the two added days going to be worth it if the seas decide to be uncooperative? The prices for both cruises a relatively the same including the airfare for the travel to the Mariner. Just don't know yet.....
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Beginner

I have sailed the Crown Princess doing the 9 day cruise. We did it last year over Labor Day week.

RCCL is a much better choice.

We had a good time but food wasn't as good on Princess. I am 60 and felt like one of the younger folks.

Don
Old February 26th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Beginner

I am in a similar situation, trying to decided between these 2. Mostly concerned about sea sickness from new york to caribbean. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Passenger

I know the seas around Bermuda are not the smoothest especially in August due to hurricane season.

I think I am leaning on toward another cruise back on the Mariner! I found pretty good airfare prices for august out of Philly!
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Passenger

I went and booked the Mariner for the August 19th Sailing! Can't wait!!!