Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Rfujitani
Default How does one on shore contact someone on a cruise?

I saw another thread about someone who needed to get in touch with someone else aboard a ship, and it made me wonder...

If there was an emergency back home, how would one contact someone on a cruise to notify them?
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Contact the cruiseline or check their website....they all have an emergency shore to ship phone number, but they can be very costly! (example $9 a minute)......hopefully no one will have to use it....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old February 20th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanS
Contact the cruiseline or check their website....they all have an emergency shore to ship phone number, but they can be very costly! (example $9 a minute)......hopefully no one will have to use it....
Oh wow... That's pretty steep.

I can see it now: "Ok dear, we'll be back in little over a week. Try not to get into any trouble or injured, ok, because it'll cost an arm and a leg to let us know. Oh yeah, and because we care about your welfare too."
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Admiral

Actually the best way to keep in touch (if it's not an emergency) is thru email. We purchased a package on board and was the best way to know that everyone was alive and well. We also were making plans to meet up with my Uncle, who lived in Key West, at the dock. Unfortunately due to the weather, we had to miss that port, but it was an economical way to keep him informed.....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:18 PM
Passenger

Ahhh, that does make more sense. I don't know why that didn't occur to me before. Thanks!
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

When we leave we always leave one person on each side of the family the cruiseline's emergency number. The only time anyone has had to get a message to us was when we were in Alaska in Aug. '03 and our daughter went into labor almost a month early. We had talked to her and her husband while she was still in labor and shortly after the baby was born while we were still in Fairbanks. They hadn't decided on a name yet and it was 2 min after the birth so the baby hadn't been weighed and measured yet. We boarded the ship later that day and the next day our SIL got a message to the cruiseline and we got a call from the Summit switchboard with the info. Needless to say, that was one cruise I didn't mind leaving when it ended.