Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Yeoman

Default Food allergy

I have a pretty bad 'allergy' to alcohol (For lack of better terminology). Does the wait staff note this when you check in? I just want to make sure that anything I get for dinner has had the alcohol cooked out of it and I am far from someone who would know what is in what dish Thanks, Carla
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla
I have a pretty bad 'allergy' to alcohol (For lack of better terminology). Does the wait staff note this when you check in? I just want to make sure that anything I get for dinner has had the alcohol cooked out of it and I am far from someone who would know what is in what dish.
Contrary to the old myth that all the alcohol is cooked out of food in a very short time when wine or other types of liquor is added to food, some alcohol is retained unless it is cooked in a very hot pan or baked for a long period of time. So if you do have an allergy to alcohol or are taking medication, such as Flagyl, that may cause a problem if you ingest alcohol you should avoid any foods made with alcohol. Many times, as much as 70% of the alcohol can be retained.

These foods would be anything made with wine, such as beef sauces or flambé or desserts that use alcohol. Most servers will be able to answer your questions, but to be sure, ask your head waiter or assistant Maitre 'd.
I am unsure of the last part of your question: Do you not want to be near someone who knows what is in a dish or not want to be?

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
These foods would be anything made with wine, such as beef sauces or flambé or desserts that use alcohol. Most servers will be able to answer your questions, but to be sure, ask your head waiter or assistant Maitre 'd.
I am unsure of the last part of your question: Do you not want to be near someone who knows what is in a dish or not want to be?
Thank you for that info. We don't cook with it at home so I have never really ran into this before.

I just want to be able to ask someone when I order if it was cooked in any kind of alcohol. So in truth you answered my question. I will be able to ask the head waiter when I order. Thanks, Carla
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Carla - just clarify a bit. You will have a wait team assigned to your table, a senior and junior waiter, it is the senior waiter on your wait team who will be the person that can help you with all your food questions. If he cannot help you, he will consult with the head waiter.
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Admiral

You can also notify the cruise line a couple of weeks prior to your cruise. They generally take food allergies pretty seriously and that way, the maitre d' and your waiter will know as well. Although, I would also follow up with them when you are on board.
Marty
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Yeoman

Thanks everyone for the help. We are 3 days out from our cruise so I will know for next time to inform the cruise line ahead of time. Thanks again Carla
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I would recommend notifying your servers, but also the Head Waiter or Maitre D.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/