Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Passenger

Default Cabin locations

I know that midship is best for not really feeling the ships movement, but if given a choice, is the very front of the ship better or the very back of the ship better for less motion?? Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I much prefer to stern (back) to the bow (front).
Old March 24th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Passenger

thanks....thanks for teaching me the proper termonology also So I guess I better book the cabin!!!
Old March 27th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Familiar Face

Kuki,
Could you elaborate on your preference for stern? Do you know why less motion would be felt there (I guess I'm assuming that's part of the reason for your preference). I'm afraid to try anything that's not mid-ship, but maybe my fears are unfounded.
kathyann
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Passenger

I also for whats its worth prefer the stern, the reason is simple, that the bow breaks the waves and the stern rides in that break also the stableliser have more physical worth at the stern, given the choice of Bow Mid Ship or Stern I will always prefer the stern, ironically also the lower you are you marginally get a better ride, ioronically the better cabins /suites are higher up not for a better ride but for practicality or functionality of the ship and to allow more cabins where they should be because of load/ balance etc ,pure physics when you think about it
hope it makes some sence
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Ships move in 3 ways around their center of gravity: pitch, roll, and yaw. Pitch is when the bow (front) moves up and down around its horizontal center of gravity, also referred to as fore and aft. Roll is when the ship moves side to side, around its longitudenal center of gravity. Yaw is when the ship seems to twist or shift sideways, around its vertical center of gravity. Depending on the direction the waves are coming at the ship affects whether you pitch, roll, or yaw; or any combination.

To some extent, pitching is more evident in the bow because you feel it dip (sort of like going down in an elevator), then bottom out and rise (like the elevator going up). On the other hand the same action is noticable on the stern, but not as pronounced. One thing you will notice on the stern (aft cabins) is a rumble or vibration...this can be an uncomfortable feeling for some passengers.

Rolling is more noticeable the higher up you are. For this reason, people who are prone to motion sickness should book a lower cabin, closer to the ship's center of gravity.

Okay, sorry for the physics lesson, but it's important to understand this if ship's movement is important to you. Personally, I prefer midship up high. In rough seas, the pitch is less noticeable. The rolling action is actually quite nice when sleeping, as it rocks you to sleep. Being up high is much more convenient for us as it puts us closer to open decks.

And understand that all ships move, but the larger ones are less pronounced. Freedom of the Seas was so smooth that we had to look out to remind ourselves we were at sea. And that's the reason we cruise...to enjoy being at sea. So book your cabin midship if you think you'll be affected by movement.

Take care, Steve
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyann
Kuki,
Could you elaborate on your preference for stern? Do you know why less motion would be felt there (I guess I'm assuming that's part of the reason for your preference). I'm afraid to try anything that's not mid-ship, but maybe my fears are unfounded.
kathyann
I too would like to know why there would be less movement. The only thing I would be able to think of as to why the front would have more motion than the rear is because it is really paving the way for the ship.