Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2007, 06:29 PM
Beginner

Default Questions of a first time cruiser

Just wondering about the following questions in general:
1. The best level to book a balcony suite on. I know that it will probably change by ship, but is there a general rule. Is higher up usually better?
2. Is a cruise liner like an airplane - better to be at front, middle, or stern.
of the ship?
3. Online Cruise Agencies - There are a number of online cruise agencies which compete for your business - How can you tell which are the good and legitimate ones? Is there some type of association they should belong to?
Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:24 PM
First Mate

Default Questions of a first time cruiser

amcwatt, I can only input to question #2.

If you are subject to motion sickness and get into rough weather, the best location to be on a ship is on a lower deck and middle of the ship.

crabbie1
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady
Default Re: Questions of a first time cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcwatt
1. The best level to book a balcony suite on. I know that it will probably change by ship, but is there a general rule. Is higher up usually better?
2. Is a cruise liner like an airplane - better to be at front, middle, or stern.
of the ship?
3. Online Cruise Agencies - There are a number of online cruise agencies which compete for your business - How can you tell which are the good and legitimate ones? Is there some type of association they should belong to?
Thanks for any info.
#1- My personal opinion, always book a cabin that has cabins above and below, so you won't be subjected to the noise that is associated with tables and chairs being moved, music from the lounges etc.
#2-I get sea sick, so always book mid ships, the front can have a lot of movement in rough seas and the back also can have vibration from the motors.
#3-On line agencies have to bechosen carefully. Ask if anyone has had experience with the one you are looking at, check the BBB if possible and my TA told me to check that they belong to CLIA.
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcwatt
of the ship?
1. My personal preferences are: Higher level for stern balconies because of better view and less engine noise and vibration. For balconies that are mid-ship; I like ones that have cabins above and below or with no jogging track or pool deck above me. I tend to stay away from front cabins because of motion.

2. I like higher up because of the view and closer to pools and other venues. That is my own personal preference.

3. Book with a CLIA (Cruise Lines International Association) cruise agency. Make sure all quotes include all fees including taxes, port charges and anything else, including air, if you are using cruise air (which I don't recommend). Make all payments via credit or debit card and these charges should go to the cruise line and not the agency. If the charges go to the agency do not book with them. Do not pay by check or cash.

I would also not book with any agency that charges an additional fee for the booking. They earn a commission on the fare and don't need to charge more for handling your reservation.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me