Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2007, 11:16 PM
Beginner

Default Cruise Ship Project

I am currently a student at Wentworth Institute of Technology in Boston, Massachusetts, studying Interior Design. Prior to my graduation it is required that I do a directed studies project, in which I choose what I would like to design and then complete it by the end of this coming summer. In order for me to be able to complete this I need to get information and feedback from a variety of people and was hoping that there would be some people on here who would like to provide me with this information. I have listed a few questions below that could be answered. Any other information you would like to provide about what you liked or didn't like about the ship itself would be extremely appreciated.
Thanks everyone for your time!

What spaces within the ship did you enjoy the most?
What spaces did you find to not be functional?
Did you have any difficulties navigating throughout the ship?
Did you spend the majority of your trip on the inside of the ship or out on the decks?
What particular spaces did you spend the most time in?
What were some of your daily activities?
Was the design of the overall environment pleasant to be in?
Were there any spaces or activities that were not provided on the ship that you would like to see integrated into the design?
Why did you choose to go on a cruise ship rather than any other type of vacation?
Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:13 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Cruise Ship Project

Very interesting project. Wish I could have had something cool for my senior design Hope these answers gets this thread kicked off for you, Carla

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahElizabeth
Loved the back deck because it had a full view of the ocean. Also liked the Shakespeare library; it was quite, not crowded and had a nice view on bad weather days.

Quote:
The pool area was too small, everyone was crowded together. Entrances to the dinning rooms were usually packed hallways way to small for so many people. The small hallways that lead from your bed to your bathroom. My BF is 6' and 200 lbs, hard to maneuver a big guy around an area like that.

Quote:
Our ship (Inspiration) had all the hallways/walkways on the outside edges of the ship instead of through the middle. Hard to get use to at first.

Quote:
Did you spend the majority of your trip on the inside of the ship or out on the decks?
Inside. All the outside areas that were in the sun were extremely windy. Would have loved an area with a wind break that let the sun in.

Quote:
What particular spaces did you spend the most time in
The library, main show lounge and back deck

Quote:
Always saw the comedian at night. Played cards in the library. Read books on the back deck. Dinner in the dinning room every night.

Quote:
No the Inspiration felt very cramped. Plus there was no segregated areas outside for people who just wanted quite time away from the spring break crowd.

Quote:
Were there any spaces or activities that were not provided on the ship that you would like to see integrated into the design?
A space that is wind blocked but allows the sun and fresh air in. Also quite areas for couples

Quote:
Why did you choose to go on a cruise ship rather than any other type of vacation?
1.) Cost/Inclusiveness (b-day gift from BF)
2.) Being able to see so many places in so little time
Old April 4th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Cruise Ship Project

The pomanade deck, you can sit and people watch for hours

I agree with hallway outside of the dinning room.

Ususally only on the first few days

Inside

My stateroom

Sitting on the LIDO deck, playing bingo.

Was the design of the overall environment pleasant to be in? Yes

Were there any spaces or activities that were not provided on the ship that you would like to see integrated into the design? No

I always rather be cruising, it's the best way to enjoy your vacation, and the most ecomonical.
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Admiral

WOW. What a fun project!

On HAL, I loved the cappucino bar and movie theater. On all ships, the area around the pool.

Again, hall outside the dining room and also the one outside the large show room. Debarkation area for ports. Although Carnivval expanded this area in newer ships, so it's better than before.

Sometimes. I have mobility problems and can get very tired when I get lost. Joke about needing a moving walkway from front to back to supplement the elevators. But, I'm only partly joking. Ex. On the Glory, while I thought it was a beautiful ship, I got exhausted trying to get around.

About 50/50, if you exclude sleeping time.

Lido, around the pool and my cabin. But, only because I need to rest so often.

If not in port, I spend a lot of time reading or sketching, occasional movie and lots of naps. Not to mention how much time spent eating!

Always

Just that moving walkway. I do miss the older 750-800 passenger ships.

I started cruising when I was single and wanted to travel, but not alone and not in a bus full of people either. Got hooked on the relaxing atmosphere of cruising. I am now NOT young and NOT healthy, but I can still see other parts of the world. I have always loved the combination of exploring a new or even not so new port, then coming back on board for an elegant dinner and total pampering.

Feel free to PM me or post here of you want more info. Have you been on a cruise before?
Marty
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Admiral

What spaces within the ship did you enjoy the most? the pool area; but most ships need to spiff up the pool areas; some misting stations/shaded areas around the perimeter of the pool; the band stand and dance area needs to be incorporated for good views for all and not seem like it was an afterthought

What spaces did you find to not be functional? the dead zones were near the atrium areas where the large windows had some window seating; never saw very many people use them; even though if done right would be a nice quiet reflecting spot

Did you have any difficulties navigating throughout the ship? yes especially elderly that are hard of hearing: the signal "sound" for the elevators were barely discernable; my mom could never hear when an elevator was at her floor and if she was watching the ones in front; she missed the ones behind her -
some cruise ships use colors for each floor of rooms however, when in the stairwells or closer to the atrium; the colors are not readily visible; each floor and stairwell landing should be seperately themed and color?

Did you spend the majority of your trip on the inside of the ship or out on the decks? on the decks

What particular spaces did you spend the most time in? pool area

What were some of your daily activities? eating and pool area

Was the design of the overall environment pleasant to be in? yes - within the exception of some of the "club" or dance areas had very low ceilings

Were there any spaces or activities that were not provided on the ship that you would like to see integrated into the design? see re: pool

Why did you choose to go on a cruise ship rather than any other type of vacation? easy of travel and cost efficient
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old April 21st, 2007, 02:13 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

Have taken three cruises in the last 4 years. In general we like the pool and spa areas especially on the Celebrity Summit - (Jan. 6,2007 through the Panama Canal - full transit). Takes a day or two to get your bearings but then not too difficult to navigate the public areas - we always book a balcony cabin which DH and I love especially coming in and out of port not to mention the sunsets and sunrise. We like ships with a max of 2000 passengers - the buffet lines are managable and the wait time to disembark for shore excursions isn't too bad. why a cruise instead of a land vacation - cost per person per day - cruise fare includes almost everything - room, food, non-alcholic drinks, top-notch entertainment and the variety of being in different places and only having to unpack once. A week in Aruba for two would cost us twice what our 14 day full transit of the Panama Canal did with much less to talk about.