Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2007, 05:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Bringing a Carseat...4 yr.old?

Hi all,

First cruise booked with 4 yr. old great-grandson and when I called to book the airport shuttle, they said he needed a carseat or booster seat and we had to bring one. That hadn't even occurred to me.....long time since I've had little ones! This is in Massachusetts, they said they would keep it for us for a fee and we would have it to come home. Could some of you tell me what you all do when traveling with young ones? Will we need it for taxis in Florida also, and on St. Thomas and St. Martin? We are on Caribbean Princess and those are the stops.....the other is Princess Cays, so no worry there. I'm just trying to figure out how to manage with all the luggage and the seat, too.....just want to do the safest and the right thing. Thanks to anyone who has dealt with this...happy sails
Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2007, 08:00 PM
Admiral

If he's 30 lbs or more you can get a lightweight booster seat at Target or WalMart for $15. It can hang on your carry on when not in use.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old April 21st, 2007, 11:05 PM
Admiral

We travel with our little ones frequently. Now they are older they use a backless booster seat which would be suitable for your 4 year old. They are very inexpensive and do not weigh much at all. Typically we are hauling two at a time and we have found the the new XXXL Ziploc bags are perfect for that purpose. They are big enough to hold two carseats, they're strong and durable and have a handle. They'll keep the seat clean and dry. We attach a luggage tag and check them with our luggage when we fly and then loop the bag's handle over the handle of our luggage to wheel it through the airport. They also won't take up much space onboard in your cabin. I would imagine you would be able to use them in St. Thomas and St. Maarten in their cabs, as I recall the cab we took had lap and shoulder belts. As for Florida, even if it is not mandatory to use a carseat in the cab, I would use mine anyway.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks so much for the personal experience info. We are going to get the booster seat for him, might even be able to borrow one just for this trip, since he has his regular seat in his mother's car....that one is heavy! Then we should be covered for everything. Isn't it funny.....the younger the passenger, the more stuff you need? ! I've got my packing down to a science now and try to take as little as possible. What's that saying..."take half the clothes and twice the money" Happy sails........
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Passenger

We are driving down to the port on our own and would not be needing to deal with flying with a carseat. What about while on the cruise - Mexican Riviera (Pride). My question is...do you use them in Mexico. We would be transporting the 3yr old to the beach via taxi and to the Sea Life Park. Do we lug the carseat with us???? What have others done?
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Passenger

If you would use the carseat at home, why wouldn't you use it on vacation?
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Admiral

Sap, the simple truth is that in some countries, vehicles are not equipped as they are in the U.S. You may not find safety belts period. If you find a lap belt, you may not find a shoulder belt, which would render a booster seat useless (it unsafe to use them without a shoulder belt or lap belt alone) Also if you are going to take a tour on a bus, you usually will not find a seatbelt. This is one of the reasons I often suggest renting a car in Cozumel as opposed to taking a cab. You can bring a carseat or rent them from the rental agency and you should have no problems if you are renting from a mainstream rental agency such as Avis.

I have to applaud the OP for caring enough to ask these questions and seeking out an answer, rather than just doing what is most convenient for her. Great job PCBoston! I am sure you are a terrific Grandma!

K&T I lug the carseat or booster with me, but it is possible you may only find cabs with Lap belts only so if your carseat is compliant with using only a lapbelt (I doubt it is) then go for it, but otherwise you may be better off renting a car and driving to the Sea Life Park and using a carseat (either bring yours or rent one)

Read and post cruise reviews