CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   prescription meds on flights (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/333666-prescription-meds-flights.html)

Floridanamaw May 23rd, 2007 05:02 PM

prescription meds on flights

My mom is flying soon, first time since all the new restrictions. She takes quiet a few prescription meds and usually just carries one of the day by day containers in her purse. Is this allowed now or should she take her meds in the prescription bottles? I wasn't sure what to tell her. Does anyone here know? Thanks

CruzNut May 24th, 2007 12:01 AM

I take 3 different prescription meds and put them all in a plain prescription bottle with enough for the entire trip which I carry in my purse. Have never had a problem nor had anyone search my purse.

I've seen some places where they say you need the actual prescription bottles with all the info - hasn't been true in my case ... before or after the new rules.

CA Cruiser May 24th, 2007 08:28 AM

I put all mine in 2 of those Sun - Sat plastic holder in a ziploc bag then bring the pharmacy printout of each medication. Saves a lot of room and still keeps the convenience of day to day usage.

LisaK May 24th, 2007 09:24 AM

my DH takes quite a few meds on a daily basis and all we do is have one of those weekly medicine boxes that hold all his meds. It goes in his carry-on no problem. If however you take any kind of liquid medication i would bring that in the original prescription bottle.

adias.angel May 24th, 2007 09:56 AM

My BF's mother watch a woman have to throw all of her meds into a trash can because they were not in their prescription bottles. It was awful because she was crying that she needed those meds.

This was in detriot-wayne airport. Not sure if different airports have different rules. Either way its a tough call. Carla

Floridanamaw May 24th, 2007 11:09 AM

I guess just to be safe she should at least have a printout from pharmacy if she just takes the day by day container. I'm not sure how many different meds she has, but it would be quiet a few to have to carry ALL the bottles. Thanks for your answers.

colorcrazie May 24th, 2007 01:20 PM

I have the same problem. It would take an entire suitcase to carry everything in original containers. I make copies of all the Rx info from the pharmacy, cut and paste onto one sheet of paper, reduce it (some, still has to be readable) and carry one copy in my purse, the other in the carry-on bag with med's in it in smaller container. I found a set of very heavy mini-ziplock type bags and I put one day's supply in each, so that is all I have to carry around while on the ship. In ports and flying, I also carry a bottle with emergency supply for a few days.
Marty