Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 14th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default cell phone for Norwegian Jewel

I need to purchase or rent a cheap cell phone just to talk for 5 minutes a day aboard the ship. What prepaid cell phones work the best for Norwegian Jewel? I don't need anything special on phone other than being able to speak clearly and hear clearly with family in US. Thanks, Anita
Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Anita,
Cell phones don't work very well from inside the ship. Also, there are no cell towers in the ocean, and in many ports, their phone system is different so that our cell phones don't work. Tried to use ours in Belize and all I could get was an offer to sign up for their service.
You can use ship's internet to send e-mail, which is cheaper than the ship to shore phone calls which run around $10 a minute.
Marty
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default cell phone on Norwegian Jewel

Maybe I didn't post clearly before: NCL now has "cellular at Sea" so that you CAN use your cell phone aboard ship, once the ship is in international waters. My verizon phone will work on board at $2.49 per minute roaming charge. (I've spoken with Verizon twice, to verify this) I would prefer to purchase a prepaid phone or rent a phone which would be cheaper to use. I just want to know who has RECENTLY been onboard the Jewel of NCL, and used a prepaid, GO, or Tracfone, or whatever; how well did it work, and what were the charges, etc. Thanks to all who are informed about "cellular at Sea" and who actually used a prepaid cell phone, who will share their information with this board. Thanks again. Anita