Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:41 PM
Passenger

Default Motion Sickness

Hello,
I have never been on a cruise before, but am really considering booking one for December of this year. I'm looking at 7 day Caribbean cruises. This is probably a really dumb question, but is there a way to tell if I will get motion sickness while on the cruise?

Also, someone said that if I have a room on either far end of the boat that I would be more susceptible to motion sickness. I'm looking to book to the cheapest room possible as I'm not planning on spending much time in it anyways, but is this true?

I have been on a couple Hornblower Yacht 3 hour cruises in San Diego Bay and Harbor and out onto the Pacifc Ocean for dolphin and whale watching cruises and have never had a problem, but like I said those were only 3 hours.

Thank you very much in advance for your replies!!!
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The cabins with the least motion are on the lower decks and in the middle part of the ship.

Having said that I would also say that if you are not prone to motion sickness in a car, train or small boat you will probably not be prone to motion sickness on a ship.

There are "Over The Counter: OTC" medicines such as Bonine (Meclizine), Dramamine that help counteract motion sickness. Ginger also helps.

The worst thing you can do is go onboard thinking that you WILL be seasick. It will be a self fulfilling prophecy.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:24 PM
Yeoman

Someone posted on here earlier in the year that you can get the generic motion sick pills over the counter at walmart without a perscirption, $10 for 100. Dosn't hurt to take them just in case.

Also a local health food store or GNC will have a whole bottle of ginger pills for a few dollars. They also make ginger candy if your not a pill taker
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:23 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Motion Sickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelHappy81
Hello,
I have never been on a cruise before, but am really considering booking one for December of this year. I'm looking at 7 day Caribbean cruises. This is probably a really dumb question, but is there a way to tell if I will get motion sickness while on the cruise?

Also, someone said that if I have a room on either far end of the boat that I would be more susceptible to motion sickness. I'm looking to book to the cheapest room possible as I'm not planning on spending much time in it anyways, but is this true?

I have been on a couple Hornblower Yacht 3 hour cruises in San Diego Bay and Harbor and out onto the Pacifc Ocean for dolphin and whale watching cruises and have never had a problem, but like I said those were only 3 hours.

Thank you very much in advance for your replies!!!
Given what you said, I have serious doubt you will get seasick. In my opinion, the higher up you are and/or farther forward, the more movement you 'might feel'. Besides, I think it is the subtle movements that bother people rather than the real physical ones. Most of these ships are now so large and have high tech stabilizers, it's hard to tell you are on the water unless you look out the window.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old June 22nd, 2007, 01:24 AM
Administrator
Admiral

The generic motion sickness drug is Meclizine. (Active ingredient in Bonine) It comes in 25 mg. tablets.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:23 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
The generic motion sickness drug is Meclizine. (Active ingredient in Bonine) It comes in 25 mg. tablets.

Take care,
Mike
Thank you. I forget the name almost as soon as I hear it. I don't have to purchase the pills for mom for a few more months. I hope by then to get the name right
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Mike's advise is right on (as usual) if you are not prone to motion sickness when you ride in the car, fly, take the train etc, chances are the ships movements will not bother you in the least bit. Its always a good idea to have some sort of back-up plan just in case.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 12:59 PM
Admiral

I agree that you are unlikely to get sea sick. If a small boat is fine, then the bigger ones won't be a problem. Also, as Mike said, the cabins in the middle of the ship, near bottom decks are least likely to result in sea sickness. They are also the cheapest. Since my hubby and I both do get seasick, that's what we book. So, our wallets don't get sick either!
Another tip is to keep your tummy full....very easy to do on a cruise.
Marty
Old June 24th, 2007, 08:16 PM
kookylabooka

Since you have been out on smaller ships and will be in a cabin on the lowest deck you should be fine.Take some ginger pills instead of medicine if you want.This way you will not be taking unneccesary drugs.
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Passenger

Thank you all very much for your replies. You have put my mind at ease and you all have provided very valuable tips and information. Take care.
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hello Fellowcruisers,

Sometimes you have to take seasick pills an hour or sometimes 2 hours before the ship departs.

I do not know about ginger pills (as I have never taken them), but the other medications that do not need a Rx tend to make you tired.

Your last resort however is you can go down to the medical facilities and the doctor will administer a sea sick shot that is supposed to work.

elf

Big Red Boat
Carnival Jubilee 2004
Carnival Valour 2005
RCCL Empress of the Seas 2006
RCCL Brillance of the Seas 2007
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 2007
RCCL Jewel of the Seas 2008
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2008
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Just FYI, Bonine, aka meclizine is OTC and does not make me drowsy. It does make me thirsty, but that I can deal with.
Marty
Old June 30th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Marty,

I have had Bonine that OTC made me sleepy as well. I was told by the pharmacist that it was less drowsy that the OTC Sturgeron (a UK product) but unfortunately that was not true either. But hey, it will not stop me from having a great time nor dancing with my husband.

elf

Big Red Boat
Carnival Valour 2004
Carnival Jubilee 2005
RCCL Empress of the Seas 2006
RCCL Brilliance of the Seas 2007
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 2007
RCCL Jewel of of the Seas 2008
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2008
Old June 30th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Glad to hear you didn't let it stop you. I guess everyone's body chemistry is different.
Marty
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Try ginger pills. They can be purchased at any health food store. They work great and no "sleepy" side effects.
Old July 13th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Passenger

Ginger Pills do work well,; however, make sure to take them about an hour before the boat sets sail and with somthing to eat and drink. If not, they can produce a burning sensation in the stomach for a good 20 minutes or so.

Additional, while sailing, don't look too often at the horizon and the sea. Keep moving your vision to points on the ship. Stairing at the horizon and noticing the rocking of the ship is what will cause a disturbance in (of all places), the ear. Signals from the ear to the brain, and brain to the stomach, result in sea sickness. The ginger pills calm the stomach and keep you from getting sick.

If you don't like pills, Ginger ale has the same effect.

Ok, I'm not a doctor and my synopsis may not be 100% accurate, but thats the basic idea. Ginger pills have the added advantage of not making you sleepy.
Old July 13th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Captain

Most motion sickness medication needs to be taken as a preventative measure. If you wait until you are sea sick it is too late. I would either take it and maintain it in your system starting 1 hour to boarding, (which is recommended) Or take it with you and then if you find you have a problem take it with you off the ship at your first port. Start taking it then, spending the day on shore. This way it will be in your system as recommended when you get back on. Then continue taking for the remainder of your cruise. Unless you encounter rough seas you shouldn’t have a problem. The bigger the ship, the less movement
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian and Phyllis in Ohio
Additional, while sailing, don't look too often at the horizon and the sea. Keep moving your vision to points on the ship. Stairing at the horizon and noticing the rocking of the ship is what will cause a disturbance in (of all places), the ear. Signals from the ear to the brain, and brain to the stomach, result in sea sickness. The ginger pills calm the stomach and keep you from getting sick.
I think you have it backwards You get sick when you don't look at the horizion. When you are looking at parts of the ship your eyes see nothing as moving but your inner ear equilibrium is relaying that you are moving. So the condraticting information is what causes your stomach to hurt. By looking at the water and horizion your ear and eyes relay the same information that you are moving. Hope that helps, Carla
Old July 14th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Passenger

What Carla said sounds better than what I had posted. Thanks for setting me straight Carla.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Dear 1st time cruiser-to-be: I tend to be motion sickness prone on anything that moves, cars, trains, planes, swings, etc. My biggest fear about trying cruising was that I would spoil the trip by being sick. 9 cruises later, it has not happened. The big ships are pretty stable, and we usually book lower midships. The only time I needed preventative medication was going on tenders (smaller boats that take you to islands where you can't dock) or on catamaran excursions. Go ahead, book your 1st cruise, and enjoy!

donna
Old August 4th, 2007, 04:15 PM
First Mate

I believe the instructions on the ginger pills says to start taking them the night before. I took 2 pills the night before we sailed and 1 in the morning and 1 at night for the first couple of days. Then I got brave and guit taking them. I did not have a problem.

Cathy

Free Cruise Clocks
Carnival Conquest - 12/4/2005
Old August 11th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Beginner

I get motion sickness just standing on a dock- the over the counter medicine did not help when I went on a bowrider years ago. I got a prescription from my dr. for the Transderm Scop patch. I have used it for two cruises and it's great!!! I get so sick after having surgery and I have to use this patch - Good luck and have a great cruise. KH
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Captain

when we cruise we booked on the lowest deck and midship inside
room we never feel any movement my mother told be about bonin
anit works and it doen,t make you as sleep as the other things you take
seasickness
Old October 23rd, 2007, 11:52 AM
Admiral

I am in total aggrement with everyone who said,"If you think about it, you will be sick." It is mind over matter.

We went to Hawaii on the Jubilee(date?) So many were sick.
I bought the simple cloth strechy braceletts from Wal-Mart. the ones with the little bead on them. It stopped my Dad's sickness in about 15 minutes or so. He started off in his cabin in the bed, so sick.
Once again...mind over matter. He believed that it would work. He came up in that 15 minutes and ate lunch. He wasn't sick again for the rest of the cruise.
According to Myth Busters, the ginger pills really work.

Have a wonderful cruise.
Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Beginner

I took Bonine when we went earlier this month. Every once in a while I do get car sick so I wanted to be prepared. I read up on the "patch", but decided against it because of medications I take for SVT. My sister-in-law, who has cruised many times, uses Dramamine, and takes it several hours before boarding the ship. My Sr. Pharmacy Technician daughter told me on their last cruise they all had the sea bands (wrist bands working on pressure points) and that they sell a lot of these at the pharmacy where she works. I bought 2 pairs of those to take (just in case, you know!). My hubby told me that a lot of this is all "in your head" and my attitude going on the ship was that I was not gonna get sick! I remember years ago that's what my daddy told my mother as she "lost it" at the dining table on their ship; by the time he got her to their room, he had "lost it" and she was saying "all in your head, right?" HA! Anyway, I took the Bonine a couple of hours before we boarded and continued to take it every day. On Thursday evening and into Friday of our cruise (12th - 17th), the Ecstasy got pretty rough. Even my husband got sick. I gave him a Bonine and the sea bands and within an hour or so he felt better. The Bonine did not make me drowsy at all, but I know in some people it will make them drowsy, but not as drowsy as Dramamine.
Old March 19th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Familiar Face

Default how rocky will the ship gets?

i wonder if sailing 7 days in hawaii during january is more rocky then sailing in alaska during july?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDWITCH 13
I am in total aggrement with everyone who said,"If you think about it, you will be sick." It is mind over matter.

We went to Hawaii on the Jubilee(date?) So many were sick.
I bought the simple cloth strechy braceletts from Wal-Mart. the ones with the little bead on them. It stopped my Dad's sickness in about 15 minutes or so. He started off in his cabin in the bed, so sick.
Once again...mind over matter. He believed that it would work. He came up in that 15 minutes and ate lunch. He wasn't sick again for the rest of the cruise.
According to Myth Busters, the ginger pills really work.

Have a wonderful cruise.
Darlene
Old July 18th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Passenger

My doctor prescribed the patch, but I would have to pay $35 for my share. Today, I went to the drugstore and got Dramamine that is supposed to be 'less drowsy.' The pharmacist actually said to get the bracelet but it turned out that they don't carry it any more. I get seasick watching a movie about the sea, especially in 3D. I would rather take something that doesn't involve meds, so I will look for the ginger pills.
Old October 18th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Familiar Face

Default Motion Sickness

Actually, if the sea is rough, you will feel the motion of the ship. I find this to be true despite the size of the ship, and the stabilizers. You are still on the water, after all.
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:26 AM
Captain

Everyone's system IS different. In other words different strokes for different folks. I have tried everything except the ginger pills.
Transderm patches - made mouth very dry, they worked but had trouble getting out of my system and made my vision very blurry.
Regular Dramamine - works well, but have to take every 4 hours and does make mouth dry and makes me sleepy.
Less Drowsy Dramamine - my personal favorite. You take 1 every 12 or 24 hours. I normally get by on one every 24 hours. Take one the night before I sail and one at dinner time. If it does make me a little sleepy, that's fine since I'll be in bed in a few hours anyway.

I have been able to skip the meds from time to time, once we are under way and the seas are smooth, but always take them up front as a preventative measure. Once you are sick on board, it is hard to get rid of the seasickness until you get on solid ground.

I have heard some say that, after you are seasick, the wrist bands do help and they sell them in the gift shop on board.

Remember, the waters might be a bit rougher in December than during the warmer months.

You have several choices here, but I still say better to be prepared up front than to miss valuable cruise time being sea sick.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days