Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 22nd, 2007, 12:17 PM
Passenger

Default Disabled question

I posted this on the disabled board and got no responses so I thought I would try here.

I am on oxygen 24/7, but I do not use a wheelchair. We have booked a VF guarantee cabin on an upcoming cruise the TA says it will be $200.00 more for a disabled cabin ( 4 in this category) and the line says just tell your TA you want a cabin close to an elevator and not a disabled cabin. Social security says I am disabled, DMV says I am disabled. I understand that sometimes when it comes to upgrades non-disabled are put in these cabins. I would never want to take a cabin from a wheelchair person, but do I have any rights here? Other than dragging around an oxygen tank I guess I look pretty healthy, just have a problem walking, talking and breathing all at the same time. Comments...........

Sandra
Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Sandra,
I am in a similar boat...so to speak. I am technically disabled, but do not need a wheelchair. To me, it isn't a matter of rights, but of praticality. The disabled cabins are really for those in wheelchairs. Once, my TA put me in one without my knowledge and it was actually less convenient for me than a regular cabin would have been. I ask for a cabin mid-ship near an elevator instead. The disabled cabins are sometimes further away from easy access. And they do not provide anything except wheel chair access. So, I suggest leaving them for those who are wheelchair bound and request the best cabin for you, which means location.
I do use a cane with a fold down chair attached and I request priority boarding, too. But, even that can backfire, as legally, only porters can take you on the ship, so sometimes you have to wait forever. I'm better off hobbling on myself. Ask for what you really need. The ships are pretty good at accomodating folks with problems.
Good luck and happy sailing!
Marty
Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:51 PM
kookylabooka

You certainly do have rights.I would listen to the cruise line over the TA.Remember,you are the one paying the TA for a service.If this one does not accommodate you find one that will.
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Passenger

Thank you both for your suggestions. This cruise is a learning experience for us. We used an iternet company instead of a store TA. I now know don't go for the guarantee, go for a particular cabin. Maybe something good will happen, like a nice upgrade. The ship seems to have plenty of elevators so I will be fine, because I will be on a cruise.

Sandra
Old July 26th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Sandra,
Even with a guarantee, all is not lost. Particularly with your great attitude! But, when you get your cabin assignment, you can still have it changed, if needed. Our last cruise, we were put in a cabin at the extreme end of the bow of the ship. I called, said I had mobility problems and requested a cabin closer to an elevator. We ended up on the Veranda deck, with a cabin that gave maximum access to everything. Ask for a change if you need to. That's the time to bring up your disability.
Have fun!
Marty
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Admiral

On the last cruise we did, there was a young man who was severely disabled and had to stay in a motorized wheelchair all the time. He was always very happy and seemed to not have any problems. We would see his wheelchair in the hall at night.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.