Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to supersandy Send a message via MSN to supersandy Send a message via Yahoo to supersandy
Default Underaged Marriage and Alcohol

My husband is 20 and I am 22, and we have been married one year. We are planning a cruise later this year, and I am concerned that he won't be allowed to drink onboard. Here in the states he is served alcohol when I am with him, because we are married and I am considered his "guardian." Will it work that way on the ship as well? I went on a Carvival Cruise with my mom when I was 18 and she signed a waiver for me to drink...is there anything like that on Royal Caribbean ships? Any and all help will be appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Underaged Marriage and Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersandy
I went on a Carvival Cruise with my mom when I was 18 and she signed a waiver for me to drink.
How did you find out about the waiver and where did you get it on Carnival? How long ago was this? Carla
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to supersandy Send a message via MSN to supersandy Send a message via Yahoo to supersandy

My cruise was in May 2003 on the Jubilee. The waiver was offered to Mom and I during check-in, before we ever got on the ship, but I didn't drink at the time and had no need for it. However, the following May my mom took my younger brother on the Splendour of the Seas and he DID sign the waiver and drank most of the time on the ship. I know a parent can sign this "waiver" but I have no idea if they will let a spouse do the same.
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

RCI was allowing parents to sign a waiver to allow those under 21, but over 18 to purchase beer and wine onboard.

They no longer offer this option.

If one of you is "of age" I suppose there'd be nothing stopping that person from buying the booze.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Admiral

sandy - anyone over 21 years of age will be able to purchase alcohol onboard Royal Caribbean. If your husband will be 21 before you sail you will not have any problems.
Royal Caribbean HAD a policy (don't know if they still do it) that a minor between the ages of 18-20 could drink beer and wine only if their parents signed a waiver/consent form
Old July 27th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
RCI was allowing parents to sign a waiver to allow those under 21, but over 18 to purchase beer and wine onboard.
Does Carnival still do this?

We have someone going on our cruise this year who will almost be 21 when we sail and I am sure they would love to have a glass of Champagne with everyone on New Years Eve. Thanks, Carla
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Admiral

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 4th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Admiral

Sandy, Not sure about where you live here in the States. But here in Indiana if your husband is under 21 and he is caught consuming alcohol, regardless of whether or not he is in your company, it is considered underage drinking. However, if you purchased the alcohol for him, you would ne charged with contributing as well.

This is from RCCL's website and states their policy:
ALCOHOL POLICY
Effective as of all sailings commencing on or after July 28, 2006, the minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on all Royal Caribbean International ships is 21.

However, on cruises departing from European and South American countries, where the legal drinking age is typically lower than 21, a parent who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) who is between the ages of 18 to 20, may sign a waiver allowing the 18 to 20 year old to consume alcoholic beverages.

The 18- to 20 year-old must agree to comply with Royal Caribbean's policies, including among other things, agreeing to not provide alcoholic beverages to any other person, regardless of age. Restrictions apply, and this policy is subject to change without notice.

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Royal Caribbean's Guest Conduct Policy may be enforced, up to and including disembarkation, if a guest violates any alcohol policy. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.

Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy.

Royal Caribbean reserves the right to revoke or otherwise restrict drinking privileges of any guest, regardless of age.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Captain

Default Re: Underaged Marriage and Alcohol

Supersandy,

Just play it by ear. I've never cruised on Royal Carribean. However, on Holland America, Celebrity, and Princess nobody batted an eye when I or my brother bought wine in the dining room for the entire table -- older teens included. Likewise, they were served in the crow's nest with no questions as long as I used my card.

It's possible they won't serve him, but I would be very surprised if that is the case.

Cheers, Aidan
Old August 7th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Admiral

sandy - just to clarify. Any one under the age of 21 will not be allowed to purchase alcoholic beverages on Royal Caribbean. Your birthdate is printed on your sign and sail cards and the servers do check. They could be fired for serving to a minor
Old August 14th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

She asked about Carnival, not Royal Caribbean, it is good to note that Royal has really cracked down about this policy and are very rigid about it. But I can see the "Guardian" reason as making sense, old enough to be married, old enough to drink one would think.

I don't know about Carnival (I have no kids or 20 year old spouse - sorry), but as long as you are low key about whatever you do, and well-behaved, I doubt they would question you buying a bottle of wine or two bottles of beer in any case.