Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to babybbeegurl22
Default NEWBIE WITH A SHORE EXCURSION QUSTION...kinda long

Hi everyone,
I have been reading these boards for a while but never posted. I am going on my first cruise with my best girl friend to celebrate graduating university and we're both really excited.
We are going to the western carib. on Feb 16. Our shore stops are Cozumel, Ochos Rios and Grandcayman.

Our activities that we would like to partake in are:
Mexico- Myan Ruins excursion and a jeep jungle tour excusion
Grancayman- Swim with stingrays/tour of the city excursion
Jamica- Dunns river falls/swim with dolphins/shopping excursion

I was just looking for some feedback on this choices good or bad.

We were also just wondering what types if things to bring with us on our shore excursions? We assume that you would not want to have to board the ship again if you didn't have to, so we were thinking a towel, water, camera and maybe a granola bar or somthing? what else would we pack?
Also would it be better to bring a small sling bag (like a small backpack) or like a bag... i'm not sure.

In terms of photos, I am an avid scrapbooker and plan to take lots. I have heard that the waterproof cameras don't take the best pictures. Are these what people tend to bring? Would a digital camera in a waterproof camera bag be too risky? We would really like pics with the 'rays.

Thanks
Sorry this was so long lol
Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Admiral

hello and welcome! To answer your questions, you have picked a great itineary, love the Western Caribbean route. Not sure if you have enough time in Cozumel to do both the ruins and a jeep tour, or am i reading it wrong and it is all one tour?
We have had great luck with the Kodak underwater camera, takes very clear pictures, not for distance but you can get some great close shots.
A backpack or sling pack is fine for your shore excursion, all you will need is your towel from the ship(make sure you bring it back or you could be charged for it), sunscreen, camera, sign and sail card, small amount of cash for tips,souveniours, credit/debit card if you plan on making any large ticket item purchases, your excursion description will tell you if you are getting fed or not, snacks aren't a bad idea
Old August 17th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: NEWBIE WITH A SHORE EXCURSION QUSTION...kinda long

Hi and welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybbeegurl22
Mexico- Myan Ruins excursion and a jeep jungle tour excusion
We did the Tulum ruins and they were beaufitul. The only thing is that you will not be able to go into the buildings. You can walkaroudn each and look into but they are very well roped off. We got some beautiful pictures there and there is a beach right next to the ruins you can swim at (no where to shower off though).

My BF's family did the ATV jungle excursion, exactly like the jeep but with an ATV instead. They loved it. They said the snorkeling was just beautiful. Either excursion you pick I think you will like.

Quote:
Grancayman- Swim with stingrays/tour of the city excursion
Go to the stingrays! You can actually walk around George Town afterwards on your own. It a small compact city. Right when you get off the ship they have maps of the town with what stores are where. There is a store called Big Black Dicks Rum, coolest place I have ever seen. Has the whole store of how a slave named Dick became free and started making this amazing rum. And of course they sell Big Black Dick Rum You can't miss that store it has a 8 foot statue of Dick in front of it and its straight in front of where you get off the tender.

Quote:
We were also just wondering what types if things to bring with us on our shore excursions?
We brought a bag pack with cameras, clothes/towels, snacks is really all you need (and sun screen if your very white colored like us). Don't keep anything of value in the bag. I actually bought a very small dry box to keep money and credit cards in and clicked it onto my bathing suit.

Quote:
In terms of photos, I am an avid scrapbooker and plan to take lots. I have heard that the waterproof cameras don't take the best pictures.
Used them at sting ray city and the photos were not too bad. They did look a little over exposed but I think much of it was because everything is so clear and light blue.

Buy the nice disposable camera that are for outdoor and action. They put different film in them so the pictures will come out much better. It cost a bit more but it will be worth it in the end. (scrapbooker too )

Have a great trip! Carla
Old September 9th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Honeybear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
hello and welcome! To answer your questions, you have picked a great itineary, love the Western Caribbean route. Not sure if you have enough time in Cozumel to do both the ruins and a jeep tour, or am i reading it wrong and it is all one tour?
We have had great luck with the Kodak underwater camera, takes very clear pictures, not for distance but you can get some great close shots.
A backpack or sling pack is fine for your shore excursion, all you will need is your towel from the ship(make sure you bring it back or you could be charged for it), sunscreen, camera, sign and sail card, small amount of cash for tips,souveniours, credit/debit card if you plan on making any large ticket item purchases, your excursion description will tell you if you are getting fed or not, snacks aren't a bad idea
Welcome!!! Just an idea, I don't go anywhere without a bottle of water especially on an Island. Have a wonderful trip!
the SENSATION

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."