Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Passenger

Default Oxygen

Is there any provision on cruise lines for persons who need oxygen?
I would feel better if I had access to oxygen while on a cruise.
I have a refillable mobile tank called a Helios. It requires a tank of
oxygen for refilling it.

If you let your TA know, do the medical facilities onboard provide
oxygen for cases like mine? Or is it possible to have my provider have
a tank sent to my cabin prior to boarding in NYC?

I thank you in advance for any information.

gambol
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Gambol,

My mother uses oxygen, and cruised successfully on Celebrity. Each cruise line has a provider(s), and you need to use their vendor. You can get this info from your TA, or contact the cruise line's special needs dept.

It's not inexpensive, but having the oxygen will allow you to cruise in comfort.

Shelby
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Passenger

Shelby, Thanks for the information. It's good to know I can arrange to have oxygen on hand if I need it. I'm sure it isn't inexpensive but
it probably would make the difference of enjoying the cruise or worrying the whole time. I don't need oxygen except in certain situations but it will be good to know it's there if needed.

Gambol

My mother uses oxygen, and cruised successfully on Celebrity. Each cruise line has a provider(s), and you need to use their vendor. You can get this info from your TA, or contact the cruise line's special needs dept.

It's not inexpensive, but having the oxygen will allow you to cruise in comfort.

Shelby[/quote]
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Shelby, Thanks for the information. It's good to know I can arrange to have oxygen on hand if I need it.
I think you misunderstood. It is NOT there if you need it. You have to prearrange to have oxygen... through the Special Needs Dept.

And you'll have to pay for it, whether it's used or not.
Old August 26th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Passenger

I am on oxygen 24/7 and found that it was less expensive to rent a portable unit (i.e Inogen) rather than use the supplier that the cruise lines require you use. I would wonder about using LOX while on a cruise, could they have a unit filled for a say 7 day cruise? I do know that you can bring your own and you are totally responsible for getting it on and off the ship yourself, so if you only need it sometime maybe you could just bring a few small tanks from your supplier. Guess that would only work if you are not flying. Also, some suppliers with enough notice will provide the portable units free of charge. Good luck.
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Passenger

There is a company called Care Vacations that provides oxygen to cruise passengers..they will deliver right to the ship.I am a TA and have provided this service to clients..you need to call them directly or www.carevacations.com.Hope this helps..
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Passenger

Gambol,oops,it is www.carevacation.com..there is no "s" on the end of vacation..they are located in Florida..
Old August 28th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Passenger

Gambol,there is another company called cruise ship assist that you could try also...www.cruiseshipassist.com..this is the website we recommend to clients..good luck..
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Passenger

These companies are fine for your oxygen needs aboard the ship, but they can/are very expensive once you add the flight (if necessary) and the cruise. There are companies that rent the portable units at no where the same cost. This can easily add another $500.00 to $800.00 to the cost of the vacation. Again, I have been told that with enough notice your oxygen provider can/will provide a portble. I don't trust my provider and finally purchased my own portable unit.
Old August 29th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Passenger

I was merely suggesting these companies to Gambol,in the hopes that he/she would be more comfortable.
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Passenger

Thanks to all of you for your helpful replies. I will contact some of the suggested carriers for oxygen.
I have my own portable oxygen which lasts up to 8 hours whether in use or not Therefore what I will need is a small bottle of oxygen to fill the portable with.
My next question will be in reference to "pushers" who help you get on and off the ship. I'll post that under that title and if it is rejected for thoughts that it is about drugs, I'll think of another name.
Old September 1st, 2007, 11:06 AM
Beginner

Default Cruising With O2

I don't think the cruise line will let you take liquid oxygen on board. This type needs to be in a well ventilated area. My aunt used liquid oxygen and they would not allow it on the cruise ship. She ended up renting a portable oxygen unit from Oxygen Buddy. It's rather expensensive, but it was cheaper than having to pay American Airlines for each leg of the trip. Plus, the company she had at home could not deliver to the airport. She has Lincare for a company, but even though they are a national company, they could not provide a portable unit for her. They said because Medicare was cutting nthe rates, they can't afford to supply thier patients with portable oxygen units.

Happy vacationing! Back to the boat!
Old September 2nd, 2007, 09:56 PM
Passenger

Judy, Thanks so much. I will contact carevacations.
Gambol

There is a company called Care Vacations that provides oxygen to cruise passengers..they will deliver right to the ship.I am a TA and have provided this service to clients..you need to call them directly or www.carevacations.com.Hope this helps..[/quote]
Old September 2nd, 2007, 10:02 PM
Beginner

Default Oxygen

I doubt very much your company will deliver to ship. Mo0st won't even deliver tanks for you to the airport. Have you thought about renting a portable oxygen unit that you can also take mon the plane, if need be?