CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Surprising wife with cruise. What to pack 4 her? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/339446-surprising-wife-cruise-what-pack-4-her.html)

Sterling Silver September 7th, 2007 05:11 PM

Surprising wife with cruise. What to pack 4 her?

Wife and I are going to So. Calif. (from Alaska) in November. She thinks we will be in L.A. and then L.V. for the week. Just happens that the Norwegian Star coincides with our dates, so I decided to surprise her with cruise. I am not planning to tell her about it until we are in L.A. (the night before the cruise leaves). I know I could be in serious do-do here, but I figure the Star is kinda casual anyway so the clothes she takes along for L.A. and L.V. shouldn't be out of place. Anything else I need to take for her surrepticiously in my luggage? Can I really pull this off, or should I tell her about the cruise before we leave from home. (We are both 60). She won'te be reading these boards. Thanks for your help.

Kuki September 7th, 2007 05:30 PM

Great surprise!! Nothing that she would need on NCL that she wouldn't in Vegas.
I'd imagine she'd take bathing suit, comfortable walking shoes, and sexy lingerier :wink: with her to CA and Vegas, so you should be good to go.

Enjoy!

Novice Senior September 7th, 2007 08:08 PM

Sterling Silver, for what it's worth, half the fun of cruising for me is the anticipation of the journey. You've arranged the surprise. She'll be thrilled. Why not allow her to enjoy the fun of planning and bragging to friends about her wonderful, creative and thoughful husband.

Ruth

dina September 7th, 2007 08:37 PM

Formal wear... Tell her you want to take her out on the town formal... believe me.. if she doesn't have the right dress for the evening.. you will hear about it.

Sterling Silver September 8th, 2007 12:17 AM

Ruth, I know what you are talking about, I love the anticipation and the planning, but I am also thinking, how neat it will be for her to be told, "we're leaving tomorrow on an 8 nighter to Mexico!" I'm going to have to video tape her response. We have been on 16 cruises and she has done mucho planning and anticipating already. I'll let you know how this turns out.
Gary

Kuki September 8th, 2007 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dina
Formal wear... Tell her you want to take her out on the town formal... believe me.. if she doesn't have the right dress for the evening.. you will hear about it.

Formal clothing is not needed on NCL, so it makes it much easier.

Heck .. I wouldnt even tell her the night before. Have breakfast, and tell her you have to get packed to get the pier LOL

Sterling Silver September 8th, 2007 01:47 AM

Great! Kuki you and I think alike!

sassyredhat September 8th, 2007 09:36 AM

Sterling~~~~What a guy :!:
I think that is such a neat idea. I would love it if my DH ever did something like this.
I think that all of her Las Vegas clothes will be fine, just make sure she has enough of her toiletries for the additional cruise days.
Way to go :!:
Have fun. :D

colorcrazie September 8th, 2007 02:36 PM

Don't forget to have gov't. ID, etc. handy in carry on. Don't let her pack them away. It would be a bad surprise if she couldn't get on the ship!
But, what a great surprise. Kudoes!
Marty

Mermaid September 10th, 2007 06:39 AM

I normally would agree that planning is half the fun....but the surprise sure would be something to remember too! I think she would already have the appropriate clothes packed, and if not, well just hand her the credit card! No problems mon.

Don't forget:
Documents and passport
Backpack, tote bag, or day pack
Sunscreen, hat
Camera, etc.

SassyB September 10th, 2007 02:12 PM

This brought back wonderful memories!! A lady I used to work with was surprised at work one day. Her husband and another guy had secretly planned a trip to Hawaii for their wives. They had daughters who helped the dads with the packing – the suitcases were in the attic and every day the wives went to work, the daughters would help the dads take things to the attic. When it came time for the trip, the husbands had rented a limo to pick up the wives at their work locations. The husbands had also secretly arranged the trips with the wives’ supervisors, so they were able to leave on the spur of the moment from work. Once the two couples were on their flights to Hawaii, the husbands gave them each a small bag. Inside the bag for each wife was $1,000.00 so they could purchase anything that might not have been packed for them. That’s the kind of guy I want!!!

oceansbobbie September 15th, 2007 11:36 PM

I would be ecstatic if DH planned a surprise cruise for me,,and I even tend to be a control freak at times. Have a wonderful time!!!!

Sterling Silver September 16th, 2007 12:48 PM

Thanks, all. I have still managed to keep this from her, although it has been difficult at times (I have never been very good at keeping secrets). My paperwork from the t.a. is coming in the mail this week and I need to intercept before she sees them!
Gary

Sterling Silver September 22nd, 2007 07:32 PM

Whew! That was a close one! We came home today and fortunately I picked up the mail before she got to it. Inside the mailbox were the cruise info and luggage tags, etc. from NCL. I quickly slipped them into my back pocket before she saw them. The great thing is, I will be gone all of next week, so if they hadn't come today, the jiggs up! Now...how shall I tell her when we get to L.A.? I was thinking of just telling her to read about this crazy Cruisemates guy who is surprising his wife with a cruise, and see how long it would take her to figure out we're talking about HER! Or maybe I'll just hand her the NCL luggage tags and tell her these will probably need to be filled out before tomorrow. This is getting exciting! Now don't blab!!

colorcrazie September 23rd, 2007 01:10 PM

Just tell her that you want to drive around the area before heading home, then drive to the port.
The luggage tags can be attached once you get there. This is so exciting, wish we could all see her face when she figures it out!
:o :shock: :D :D :D
Marty

ready2gonow September 23rd, 2007 05:18 PM

Gary, what a great treat for your wife! I surprised my DH with a trip to Taos, NM. I wanted to do something special for him prior to having surgery for cancer. I told him about the trip while we were wading through all the pre-admission stuff at the hospital. We went directly from the hospital to the airport! He was totally surprised and it was such a special time for both of us!

BTW, should you not bring something special that she wants, it can be bought either before sailing or in the first port!

Sterling Silver October 18th, 2007 01:58 PM

Well, the secret is still good. You can't imagine how difficult this has been to keep to myself. I'm glad I have you folks to talk to! Only three weeks to go. Still not sure how I am going to tell her the good news. I will watch what she packs and I may have to add a few things of hers to my suitcase. I already have the docs, tickets, passports, etc. packed away. I may just have to forego the snorkel equipment this time and rent down there. If she saw that she would know for sure. Last week I ordered some shore excursions and I was able to intercept the email confirmation before she saw it. All is well!

cwr322 October 26th, 2007 01:11 PM

I just read this thread and I am very impressed with your ability to keep something like this a secret. I can't even do Christmas shopping early because if I buy it early, I give it early and then there is nothing left for Christmas! I know your wife will love this surprise and you for planning it. Have a great time!

Cathy

Sterling Silver October 27th, 2007 06:44 PM

Thanks, Cathy,
Looks like you are ready for a cruise again. It has been almost two years for you. I'll let you know how this turns out.
Gary

rosemarywh October 30th, 2007 01:11 PM

a very brave man!

hmmm. only you know if your wife likes surprises.

when we were in alaska several years back, in july, it was cold and it snowed. i don't even want to THINK about november ... so at the very least, pack her some silk long john layers, gloves, socks, scarf, hat ... if you do it all with silkies it won't take up much room and she won't freeze. PLEASE make her wear an appropriate coat for the trip. p.s. you can mail order, quickly and inexpensively, silk long johns etc. from sierratradingpost.com ... just order a size up - they run small. have fun, brave one!

Marc October 31st, 2007 02:08 AM

Re: a very brave man!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosemarywh
hmmm. only you know if your wife likes surprises.

when we were in alaska several years back, in july, it was cold and it snowed. i don't even want to THINK about november ... so at the very least, pack her some silk long john layers, gloves, socks, scarf, hat ... if you do it all with silkies it won't take up much room and she won't freeze. PLEASE make her wear an appropriate coat for the trip. p.s. you can mail order, quickly and inexpensively, silk long johns etc. from sierratradingpost.com ... just order a size up - they run small. have fun, brave one!

Why do you recommend taking cold weather gear for a Mexican Riviera Cruise? :roll:

rosemarywh October 31st, 2007 09:40 AM

mea culpa! so-o-o-o sorry!

why do i recccommend warm attire? because i'm an IDIOT!!! i read this post so quickly that i reacted immediately and turned things upside down - what a lesson to me ... ooops, ooops, triple ooops. i take it all back.

just have fun. my heart may have been in the right place, but heaven knows where my head was. :oops:

colorcrazie October 31st, 2007 01:33 PM

Rosemary,
Too funny, except that I can totally relate!
Marty, a blonde who also has senior moments

Sterling Silver October 31st, 2007 07:08 PM

No problem, Rosemary! I figured you may have read the post a little too
quickly. They don't have cruises up here in Alaska after Sept. 25. Although I do think someone ought to look into doing one year-round. After all, they go to Antarctica!
Back to my surprise...I think I am weakening. I just can't seem to hold it any longer. At least I feel I must tell her before we fly down to So. Calif.
I think she is just planning to take comfy jeans for our trip and I know she would want some nicer things for the cruise, even if it is casual on NCL. So I am thinking a week from tonight I will tell her (the night before we fly down to Burbank. Maybe I will
have a "bon voyage" banner in the house when she gets home from work.
Gary

rosemarywh November 1st, 2007 12:59 PM

you're all too kind!

at first i ... duh ... thought you were sailing TO alaska! but y'all anchored me gently - thanks. now, after three cups of coffee i'm really waking up here in nj.

so ... one at-least-for-now last thought or two ... if you're going to tell her - and unless her wardrobe and toiletries are VERY organized - maybe the night before the trip is too last minute. (a certain senior-moment-champion i've known all my-i-mean-her life would be up all night frantic with repacking.)

here's my suggestion : plan to get home from work before she gets home from work, a couple of days before your trip. pick up some FRESH salsa and guacamole at the market, (okay, or stop at taco bell), make up a pitcher of margaritas, rent a burro or two, and hang a 'legal border crossing' banner over the front door. borrow one of those blow-up boats from your travel agent, or tape a ship picture to the front door. when she comes home, greet her with "hola! there's nothing ordinary about it! surprise, senorita muy bonita ... can you figure out what's up? " you have to say this with a rose between your teeth while posing like a mariachi and stomping your feet like a two-year old ... oh, and herb albert must be playing in the background. oh yeah, and you can get one of those cheap pinatas at the dollar store and put the tickets and cruise brochures in there. oh, and i'd like to be a fly on the wall during all this!

have fun. hope i read it all correctly this time ... if you're really going to, oh, let's say china, i'll need a day or two! blessings, rosemary

christmascruiser November 5th, 2007 11:03 AM

I did this for my husband for his 40th b-day. He still talks about it! We had a wonderful time and I hope you guys do too.

Nothin but blue skies November 6th, 2007 12:28 PM

Be sure to let us know how it went and maybe you can get your wife to post her response as well. Good luck and have lots of fun. You sound like a great guy to have around. Almost as good as mine. LOL

christmascruiser November 7th, 2007 04:51 PM

Oh Sterling try to hang on a bit longer. It'll be worth it I promise. My husband did'nt know a thing. I hacked into his ff account , my bf husband impersonated him over the phone to make flight reservations. I started the process in Janurary and we did'nt cruise until April. His b-day was in May and I wanted to do it early. He knew nothing until he came home from work and found his sister sitting here. She came down to take care of the children for us. It was hard to keep it from him but also alot of fun. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Good luck to you!!!!!!! :D 8)

Phil&Liz November 7th, 2007 08:22 PM

OK today is the day you were going to tell her......Did you????

We must know !!!

Phil & Liz

tjwalkingon November 12th, 2007 07:36 AM

Cant' wait to see how this turned out!! I just hope he packed enough underwear, nothing worst than running out of clean underwear, well guess running out of money would be the worst.