Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:10 PM
Passenger

Default What is the status of the midnight buffet??

It's been many years since I've gone on a cruise but I'm booked for one next month. Is there still such a thing as a midnight buffet? I'm sailing on the Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore Thanksgiving week.
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

The midnight buffet is becoming a thing of the past. Many cruise lines, such as Carnival and Royal Caribbean will only do one or two on a seven night cruise. Celebrity will do one Grand Buffet and then have "late night bites" (hors d'oeuvre) served in different lounges.

Princess and, I believe, Holland America no longer have midnight buffets but Holland America has a chocolate extravaganza, at some point, during the cruise but it isn't at midnight.

NCL still has their Choc-o-holic buffet but it may not be at midnight on NCLA (Hawaii).

Most of the midnight buffets are usually set up for a walk through and photo shoot and then you can come around and eat. If you haven't been to one or haven't been in awhile it's worth it, if only for the presentation.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Captain

I think Mike M has it right. They had one midnight buffet on our 4 day RCI Sovereign cruise last month and one chocolate buffet on another night.

My impression is they would like to pretty much get rid of the midnight buffet completely. I'm sure it revolves around cost and if you consider the time, amount of food, set up etc. it is a pretty big undertaking. Did cruiselines really used to do these almost every night on every ship? It's funny because if you've talked to someone who has never even cruised about cruising the one thing they always seem to have heard of is the midnight buffet.

I understand the chocolate buffet was very impressive but the line for it was extremely long so we resisted.
Old October 8th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Passenger

The one and only cruise I was on was back in the eighties. It was an NCL cruise and yeah, there was a midnight buffet every night.