Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Default Does "At Anchor" in Kings Wharf mean a big inconve

My fiance & I are interested in cruising to Bermuda in April/May '08. This will be our first cruise, and the NCL itineraries include the words "At Anchor" next to Kings Wharf. Exactly what does this mean? My fiance thinks you have to ferry back and forth from ship to island, that there might be a "schedule", and that it will be a very big inconvenience.

Could someone explain what being "at anchor" means in practical terms? And if you've done it, we'd love to hear about your experience. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, it does mean you'll have to tender, but they usally run them all the time, shouldn't be any major problem.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 7th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Familiar Face
Default No worries

I completely agree with Donna that while tendering at a port may slow things down a little it's sure not a reason to not take a cruise.

The only problem I've heard of was in the Falklands when passengers were tendered to the idland BUT when storms arose some 1 000 passengers had to be billeted on an island of just 1 500. What an adventure to write home about.

Just be sure to check the time of the last tender back to the ship.

Old October 16th, 2007, 08:16 PM

For Bermuda, I wouldn't go to King's Wharf and I certainly wouldn't want to tender at King's Wharf. I would go with a ship that docks right in Hamilton. Otherwise, you are a long distance from the town. I liked the ability to get on and off the ship whenever I wanted and be right downtown.

"Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero"

Seven Seas Mariner - Bermuda - April 2016

Seven Seas Explorer - Med - October 2016
Old October 30th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Default yes, yes, yes - don't do it!!!

just my opinion but ...

being at anchor isn't the problem ... tendering is fine unless you're disabled ... BUT king's wharf is a great big zero ... inconvenient. VERY inconvenient. there's a reason those cruises are less expensive - you'll ring up huge transportation bills in $ AND time!
Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:17 PM

i totally agree with Marc and Rosemary, anchoring at Kings Warf is a huge pain in the neck, you aren't near anything basically. Look into a cruise that docks in downtown Hamilton.
Old November 4th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default b

I do Not understand why you would have to anchor at Kings Wharf. They have very large dock there. We did it while on the Millinium. There is a ferry that leaves from there to take you to other parts of the island. They run often and does not take very long to get to the distination.

There is very large and nice museum there at the Wharf for you to visit if you wish.

Cruising on Carnival Sunshine 10 days Dec 9 San Juan to Port Canaveral------Cruising on Allure of Seas 7 days Feb 21 2016]
Old November 20th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just returned from Bermuda/Caribbean and we docked at King's Wharf.
We were on Celebrity Constellation.

bermuda, caribbean, cruise, dock, imconve, kings, like, recommend, royal, tender, tendering, tenders, warf, wharf, whats