Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to b4coco Send a message via Yahoo to b4coco
Default what is the best cruise ship to go on to see alaska

looking for help i heard princess, any help what port and what ship
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Admiral

Seems to me that Princess gets the most raves - as to port and ship ... depends on what date you want to sail and for how long and if you want to do a land portion, too.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old October 10th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Admiral

I would go HAL. But, whatever ship you choose, I highly recommend one that goes to Glacier Bay. Beyond that, I loved all of the Alaska ports.
Marty
Old October 11th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Sterling Silver

I live in Juneau and you know what? I LOVE 'EM ALL!! As long as you are on a balcony you can't go wrong.
I am partial to Princess because of a fabulous upgrade they gave us once.
We like Celebrity just as much, and have also had good success on the Carnival Spirit that comes up here. I don't know their itinerary for next year, but the nice thing is that Spirit has been coming here on Saturday when there is usually just one other ship in town. The other days of the week there are four or five or six ships and it gets pretty crowded downtown.
Also, do you plan a round trip from Seattle or Vancouver? Or is it a one- way to/from Seward/Whittier? That will also make a difference in which ports and sightseeing days you have as well. The round trip from Seattle or Vancouver is cheaper because you won't need to fly to Anchorage, but the down side is then you would miss the College Fjord Glaciers. They are spectacular! I think Princess has some nice itineraries, and I have never been on Holland, but they have been in Alaska the longest and they do treat their customers well (I am told).
I tell my friends, when they ask, to come in May when the prices are lower and the scenery is out of this world. The days are getting longer and the weather has just as good of a chance of being sunny and warm as if you came in July/August when the prices are the highest. Don't forget the balcony!
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:20 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Silver
I live in Juneau and you know what? I LOVE 'EM ALL!! As long as you are on a balcony you can't go wrong.
I am partial to Princess because of a fabulous upgrade they gave us once.
We like Celebrity just as much, and have also had good success on the Carnival Spirit that comes up here. I don't know their itinerary for next year, but the nice thing is that Spirit has been coming here on Saturday when there is usually just one other ship in town. The other days of the week there are four or five or six ships and it gets pretty crowded downtown.
Also, do you plan a round trip from Seattle or Vancouver? Or is it a one- way to/from Seward/Whittier? That will also make a difference in which ports and sightseeing days you have as well. The round trip from Seattle or Vancouver is cheaper because you won't need to fly to Anchorage, but the down side is then you would miss the College Fjord Glaciers. They are spectacular! I think Princess has some nice itineraries, and I have never been on Holland, but they have been in Alaska the longest and they do treat their customers well (I am told).
I tell my friends, when they ask, to come in May when the prices are lower and the scenery is out of this world. The days are getting longer and the weather has just as good of a chance of being sunny and warm as if you came in July/August when the prices are the highest. Don't forget the balcony!
I am dreaming of an Alaskan Cruise/Land Tour and have been doing some research. I had narrowed it down to Princess or Holland America, but I am really leaning towards Princess mostly because they show you their lodges where you would be staying. Nobody else seems to want to tell you where you will stay during your land portion. Anyway I am glad to hear that you recommend May because that is when I wanted to go, but was afraid it would be to early in the season to be warm enough to enjoy the sights.

Thanks for your info.

Cathy

Free Cruise Clocks
Carnival Conquest - 12/4/2005