Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Beginner

Default Airport directly to Harbour?

Hi,
I'm looking at trying a cruise leaving from the south and sailing around the Caribbean. My problem is I'm a teacher and can only get away for one week. I would like to take a 7-day cruise but this means I will have to fly out of Buffalo early Saturday morning and return at the latest the following Sunday. I am new to cruising and don't really know if that is really practical. It probably involves landing at an airport and going directly to the ship and doing the reverse to return. Is there a port where airport to ship transfers are practical (no hotel) or should I just plan a shorter cruise?

How much time should I allow between my arrival and the departure time listed for the ship?

Thanks Zip
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Admiral

I am assuming you will be traveling in the winter months. If so, my suggestion would be to find a cruise that leaves on a Sunday. I would then fly into the port on Saturday. I find it is always best to fly in the day before....especially, since you live in snow country. Flying home on the same day you return to port isn't a big deal. But, having an extra day in the beginning will relieve a lot of stress and worry.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Great advise MaryLou. Royal Caribbean is one line that sails Sunday to Sunday out of Miami for the Caribbean. We cruise in the winter months, we always fly in the day before for peace of mind and relaxation. If flying in the day before doesn't work for you make sure you get on the earliest am flight out of Buffalo. On your return trip don't book a flight home before noon
Old October 11th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Hey Zip,
Flying out of Buffalo, I would definitely recommend flying the day before. Lived in Rochester for 7 years, and , as you know, a heavy storm can totally shut down the airports. If you can't do it the day before, do a red eye. And buy travel insurance...something I usually don't recommend, but this is one case where you might really need it. Make sure it covers travel delays due to weather.
Marty
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Beginner

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the great advice. I'm new to the game and what you have said makes sense and is really helpful.
Thanks zip
Old October 13th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Beginner

Hi,
I started looking at cruises and have found one I like leaving from Tampa on Sunday and returning the following Sunday at 8:00AM. I have also found flights that leave Buffalo on the Saturday and return on the Sunday at noon after the cruise. Does the 4 hours between docking and take-off leave myself enough time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
ZIP
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIP
Hi,
I started looking at cruises and have found one I like leaving from Tampa on Sunday and returning the following Sunday at 8:00AM. I have also found flights that leave Buffalo on the Saturday and return on the Sunday at noon after the cruise. Does the 4 hours between docking and take-off leave myself enough time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
ZIP
Zip;

You should be able to make that "if" everything goes well with docking and disembarkation. If there is a flight a couple of hours later it would be better.

If not, make sure that you fill out the form that you will receive, mid-cruise, that asks you to put in your departure flight information. This will help you be in one of the first groups to get off. If you are not in one of the first groups, go to the Customer Service desk and ask them for early disembarkation.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me