Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Beginner

Default Travel Insurance

I need a recommendation for a reputable company that offers travel insurance for interupted travel and medical. Anyone have some suggestions for companies I might investigate?

Thanks
Jack
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:51 PM
First Mate

I have only bought from the cruiselines in the past (the couple of times I bothered to get insurance). I'm sure others will share their experiences.

In the meantime, you can do side by side comparisons at www.insuremytrip.com. I've looked at it a couple of times, but you need to be sure you are comparing the same coverage, as dollar amounts do vary a bit.
Old October 17th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I can recommend CSA Travel protection. Have used them for years and they've seemed decent when I've had to make a claim. Be sure to check a few out, make sure you are getting the right policy for your needs.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 18th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Admiral

FYI to all. CSA changed their policy since I last used them. You have to buy within 24 hrs of final payment on the cruise. And, they only cover pre-existing if you buy the full cost of the cruise coverage. Since we often buy last minute deals, this was an unpleasant surprise to me.
Marty
Old October 19th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Captain

I can highly recommend CSA for your travel insurance. This is a very good company and from past experience they are very good if you need to file a claim. I never buy the insurance from the cruise lines the CSA covers a whole lot more. If you are booking through a travel agent ask them, they can give you a wealth of informatin.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Beginner

I really appreciate the advice everyone provided here about travel insurance. I am worried about one thing ... I will be traveling with a friend not a spouse. If I become ill and cannot travel or if they become ill and cannot travel will the insurance cover both of us? This is something I was told may become a problem as insurance coverages for medical disruptions cover spouses but not boyfriends/girl friends/companions & significant others etc.
If anyone knows other wise I would appreciate hearing additional comments.
I will check with those companies who have been suggested for full coverage issues.

Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

Jack
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Captain

Well, I finally needed the insurance due to a medical problem on board where I had to go to the ship's hospital. I got all the docs from the hospital and called my Travel Insurance today for a claim form. The red tape to file this $87 claim is unbelievable. I first have to try to file it on my primary medical insurance and then they will pay the difference. After I get the documentation from my primary health insurance provider and submit all the docs to the travel insurance, it will take another 4 to 6 weeks to process!

I am glad this wasn't a huge medical expense Even though the red tape is bad, I would still not travel without the insurance.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old November 13th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Admiral

I think in your situation, you both should take out travel insurance, so both will be covered, or just one policy for both travelers.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 14th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Jack, i agree with Donna, you probably should each take out your own policy. Double check with your TA just to make sure. Another thing you may want to consider is bascially a medical proxy letter, giving your companion the right to consent for your medical treatment should you not be able to. This is just in the form of a letter that you should have notarized. Parents who take kids friends on cruises do this type of thing all the time for example.
Old November 14th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Beginner

Thanks to Donna & LisaK for their valuable comments. After considerable research I purchased insurance through Travelex. One of the main reasons I decided to use them was that they offer 'Primary Coverage'. This means in the event of a claim you file with Travelex first. This would have been a key benefit for 'Nothin but blues skies".

I did learn that when all travellers are listed on one policy all benefits of the policy are shared. Marriage doesn't factor in. Although Travelex wanted to write separate policies they relented since we live together and have the same address. The proxy letter though is another thing and I will create one for both of us. Great suggestion Lisa!

Anyone reading this and considering travel insurance can benefit from my hours of research by looking at Travelex as one of your starting points. They were not the least expensive but overall offer an outstanding package.

Jack
Old November 14th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Thanks Jack,
For sharing your hours of research, we can all benefit from all that information...

Happy cruising!

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 19th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Captain

I will definately check out Travelex next time. I have already bought my policy for April through Travel Guard. I found some info about Travel Guard that my TA did not know, by calling them direct. On both of our family cruises I was able to buy a single family policy that covered all of us. It was much, much, less expensive than buying a separate policy for each cabin or each family of 2, 3 or 4. The policy covers all 15 of us. I probably saved about 40% by putting us all on the one policy.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days