CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Do [b]Travel Steamers [/b]really work? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/341647-do-b-travel-steamers-b-really-work.html)

Novice Senior October 25th, 2007 09:24 PM

Do [b]Travel Steamers [/b]really work?

What are the strengths and weaknesses of relying on travel steamers when travelling?

I could imagine them removing light wrinkles but are they of any use for hand washed and hand wrung items?

Is there a minimum voltage one should consider?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Longing to be 'wrinkle free'

Kuki October 25th, 2007 09:32 PM

They work great. We've been traveling with one for 10 years, and I'm not wrinkled yet LOL

LisaK October 26th, 2007 12:09 PM

in my years of traveling i can tell you that i have yet to use a steamer. IF you pack correctly, unpack as soon as you can, most wrinkles hang out by themselves. If not i will either shower steam my items, head to the self-service laundry(if available), or have formal items sent out to be pressed. Frankly a couple of wrinkles in my clothing isn't going to send me off into the deep end. lol

Novice Senior October 26th, 2007 01:33 PM

Cruise Wrinkles

Lisa, we're relatively new to cruising and never before worried about wrinkles when travelling on our own.

On our Celebrity cruise last winter around South America everyone seemed so elegantly dressed and wrinkle free. It seemed like a different world from our 6 week trips with one suitcase, where we relied on our Canadian Tilley drip dry outfits.

I suspect that no travel steamer works as well as those advertisements would suggest.

Ruth

Trip October 27th, 2007 10:28 PM

I have seen some compact, really intense steamers on home shopping networks, that I am considering for our next cruise. These are not the iron/steamers, as I have now, but seem to really do the trick. The old bathroom steam can be hit or miss, and I prefer to have the use of a small appliance.

Novice Senior October 28th, 2007 08:42 AM

That's the one I'd like to hear about

Those are the sort of travel steamers to which I was referring. But not everything shown on TV works as well at home. I was hoping to receive some first hand references.

Trip October 28th, 2007 12:03 PM

All it would take is the return postage if you don't like it. Joy Mangano has one on HSN, this is the one I will try..

ScrapNana November 27th, 2007 03:41 PM

On one of the other boards, several ladies posted that they had used the travel steamer that is sold in Walmart's...in their travel section. I was somewhat skeptical, but I decided to get one and try it out. It was $19.99 so I figured I would see how well it worked. It did wonders for my husband's long-sleeved cotton shirts he brought on the cruise. It is small, of course, and has its own travel bag. I'm glad I bought it. I will use it at home as well.

Novice Senior November 27th, 2007 03:52 PM

Thanks Scrap Nana

Thanks, Scrap Nana, for this feedback. Now whether or not our Canadian Wal-Mart carries the same steamer, or if they even carry one, I plan to check it out.

My husband's planning to bring his kilt this time. Hopefully its weight and a bit of help from a steamer will make him crease free.

I've been folowing some of the laundry threads on various sites and gather most laundry comes back so well folded little pressing is needed.

Thanks again,

Another Nana