Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Beginner

Default Cheap cruises...best price

I am looking for the best way to get the BEST price on cruising. We always drive...so airfare is not a problem. I want to know what website to watch, or what travel agent to call...or is it cheaper to go directly to the cruise lines? We would like to do it last minute if possible. We would even do it right from the pier if that would make it a better price. We hate it when we get on board and hear that someone paid hundreds less for the same room. Help me. thanks
Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2007, 05:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

you mean like paying $849 each for an 18-day San Diego to Miami Panama Canal cruise

or how about $619 each for an 11-day Hawaiian Islands and Fanning Island cruise including return airfare from LAX

or maybe $349 each for an 8-day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Pride

or try $296 each for a fabulous 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise of the beautiful Costa Magica

or how about a 6-day repo cruise from Vancouver to Los Angeles oboard the Golden Princess for $299 each

All the above prices inlcude port charges and govt fees/taxes.

We did all the above cruises in 2007, all last-minute, so yes, blazing hot deals are still to be had if you are flexible with travel dates and can go last-minute, we did not book any of our cruises more than 15 days out and a couple of them within 48 hours of sailing. If you dig up some of my earlier posts/threads on this site I had given more details of what we do to find these last-minute killer deals.

Captain
Old December 7th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Admiral

There are a number of cruise travel agents on CruiseMates. I suggest going to them and signing up for free email so deals come right to your computer. Here are a few more travel agents I'd sign up for: cruise.com and the cruisewizard.com.

The most important thing is to pick your ship based on lifestyle and interests. Then find the best price on that cruise company's ships. Never pick a ship based on price alone. It's not only money you're spending, but also vacation time. The point is to have a fabulous time.

You won't get a better price by booking directly, you may end up spending more money. Travel agents sometimes get better prices by organizing a cruise into a group sailing. And, many travel agents offer perks such as on-board credit. You can cover your tips this way and sometimes get a free shore excursion.
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old December 8th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Admiral

Captain just luvs your weblog, Anne, what a kewl site.

Captain
Old December 8th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Captain, I thank you!
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old December 12th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Admiral

the days of being able to purchase a cruise at the pier are long gone for security reasons. i think that 48hrs prior to sailing is the latest that you can book a cruise.
The cruise compete feature on our web site is very good.
I deal with a local ta and she has always gotten us a great price and perks,with a single phone call she handles everything.
Old December 15th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Captain

I have to hand it to Carnival, they have a very handy section on their web site with upcoming specials...Just click on "specials" in the top right corner...It gives dates, prices and the names of the ship with the all the info about the cruise...Great for folks who can go last minute and/or are flexible.

They currently have one on there for the end of Jan' for a 4 day Baja cruise starting at 209 pp...That's a heck of a deal! I know the other lines have specials on their web sites too but Carnival's seems very easy to navigate and they seem to have the cheapest priced specials.
Old December 15th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
I have to hand it to Carnival, they have a very handy section on their web site with upcoming specials...Just click on "specials" in the top right corner...It gives dates, prices and the names of the ship with the all the info about the cruise...Great for folks who can go last minute and/or are flexible.

They currently have one on there for the end of Jan' for a 4 day Baja cruise starting at 209 pp...That's a heck of a deal! I know the other lines have specials on their web sites too but Carnival's seems very easy to navigate and they seem to have the cheapest priced specials.

we've done that as recently as November 07 on the Paradise for $129 each, including port charges/taxes! Be smart and shop around, save yourselves a ton of dough!
By the way, no senior or military discounts are involved in our case.
NCL and Princess also have fantastic last-minute killer deals, they beat Carnival hands down. We did an 18-day Panama canal cruise on the NCL Sun in October for $849. And a 6-day Pacific repositioning cruise on Princess for $299, both cruises include port charges/taxes.

Captain
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
Passenger

I am very interested in getting bargains also as both my husband and I are flexible - but my question is - is the pricing that is advertised for a cabin at the bottom on the ship and no balcony only or is there really a chance of getting something decent for a good price (do you get what you pay for?)
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Familiar Face

Anyone ever used Costco Travel?
Star Princess-Alaska 2008
Star Princess-Alaska (again) 2009
HAL Oosterdam - New Year's 2009 into 2010
Carnival Spirit-Baja Birthday Cruise 2010
NCL Spirit - W Caribbean Bday Cruise Oct 2011
Island Princess -Alaska to Denali 2012
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 2013
2014 Booked - Azamara Barcelona to Monte
Carlo
2015 Booked - Carnival Dream to Caribbean

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 4th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyd1014
I have looked at their brochures. Their cruises are fulfilled by one of the major online cruise agencies, so you will not find better prices there than you will online. And for cruise lines that impose flat pricing" Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Carnival, NCL, you will see the same deals as you see everywhere else.

I suggest ANYONE looking for great cruise prices should read all of our recent articles in our consumer affairs area on cruise shopping. You will learn ALL of the major tips on getting great deals.

The most important aspect to great cruise prices is understanding that cruise line's vary prices on the same exact cruises depending on how full the ship is - it is exactly like the airlines (a practice called "yield management"). Therefore, the singular most important factor is sail date. Pick a date when the ship is very full and the prices are lower.

If you need a specific saildate or cabin category - then the trick is to book early.

Bottom line - as the ship fills up, the prices go up.

Old January 9th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Passenger

since my fiance is a teacher we're limited to a cruise on Christmas or New Years. We have always booked almost a year in advance to get our pick of the best rooms.

If we decided to wait and do a last minute deal for a holiday sailing, do you think I would find these type of deals that you are all mentioning?

I realize I won't have a pick of room location, but for such a savings, it'd be worth it.
Old January 9th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyd1014
I have looked at their brochures. Their cruises are fulfilled by one of the major online cruise agencies, so you will not find better prices there than you will online. And for cruise lines that impose flat pricing" Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Carnival, NCL, you will see the same deals as you see everywhere else.

I suggest ANYONE looking for great cruise prices should read all of our recent articles in our consumer affairs area on cruise shopping. You will learn ALL of the major tips on getting great deals.

The most important aspect to great cruise prices is understanding that cruise line's vary prices on the same exact cruises depending on how full the ship is - it is exactly like the airlines (a practice called "yield management"). Therefore, the singular most important factor is sail date. Pick a date when the ship is very full and the prices are lower.

If you need a specific saildate or cabin category - then the trick is to book early.

Bottom line - as the ship fills up, the prices go up.
Paul,

Don't you mean: Pick a date when the ship is "NOT" very full and the prices are lower.

The less people the lower the rates.

Here's the links to the articles that Paul is referring to.

Direct Booking vs. Agents: The Latest Chapter

Price Shopping? Pick up the Phone

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me