Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 27th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Yeoman

Default Help....Passport question for 13 year old

Ok, I have to admit I have not kept up with the new rules etc. Now, am in panic mode as we will need passports for April cruise. Oldest son is 13 1/2. Will I have to get him a new (renew) when he turns 14 ? Also, are they still requiring one send in original docs. such as birth certificates and marrige license?
Thanks for any help
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Help....Passport question for 13 year old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatormama
Ok, I have to admit I have not kept up with the new rules etc. Now, am in panic mode as we will need passports for April cruise. Oldest son is 13 1/2. Will I have to get him a new (renew) when he turns 14 ? Also, are they still requiring one send in original docs. such as birth certificates and marrige license?
Thanks for any help
Anne
Original docs are required, yes. As for him needing a new one, you mention a renew. There is no reason I know of that the difference between 13 and 14 would require a new one. If I recall correctly, kids' passports are good for 10 years. So if you have gotten him one within that time he should be good (check the time frame with the govm't though, as I am doing this from memory of getting my son's passport for our trip to Israel a couple of years ago).

Carnival Conquest April 2008
Carnival Conquest April 2009

Old December 30th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Kid's passports are only good for 5 years these days. I am so confused though. Does the kiddo have a passport that simply needs to be renewed, or will this be a brand new passport application?

If the Kiddo has a passport and it will be expiring with in 6 months of the cruise I would go ahead and renew it prior to going on the cruise. Fo a renewal all you will need is a renewal application, the photos, and your current passport. Send them in and it should only take a few weeks to get thenew one back. Unless your child is married and had a name change, you shouldn't need to produce a marriage license lol!

If the kiddo does not have a passport then you will need the certified birth certificate, the photos, the passport application etc...

Read and post cruise reviews
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:49 PM
Admiral

Anne, what is the expiration date on your son's passport? that will tell you everything you need to know.